Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RSSI and AoA for tiny consumer micro-locator ?

Visions

Project Overview:
ultra-compact microlocator device that can be attached to items like glasses and located using a phone app. Key requirements:

Form factor under 2mm thick and 6mm diameter
Long battery life
BLE 5.3 for connectivity and location

Components:

IN100 Bluetooth SoC (InPlay Technologies)

DFN8 (2.5x2.5mm) package
BLE 5.3
Ultra-low power, less than 10nA lost in sleep mode

V335 Coin Cell Battery

1.2mm thick, 5.8mm diameter
Should enable multi-year battery life

26MHz Crystal

Required for IN100's RF operation
Small 2.0x2.5mm package

Antenna

WLA.01
Required for IN100's RF operation
Small 1.6x3.2mm

Question: Am I missing something? It seems as though this setup would work for sub-meter location first using RSSI data to get in the ball park and then AoA when close . I would love to have a rhinestone that I could glue to my glasses and never lose them!

Attachments

• IN100 - DFN8_20240506_033813_0001.png
    IN100 - DFN8_20240506_033813_0001.png
    103.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IN100 - DFN8_20240506_033813_0000.png
    IN100 - DFN8_20240506_033813_0000.png
    462.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Battery.pdf
    588.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Crystal.pdf
    963.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IN100.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 34
  • Antenna.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
An interesting project! Nice concept for both individual item location & home automation.

The battery size/type is confused though - you first list a lithium cell. CR1225 which is 12mm diameter by 2.5mm thick.

I see "V355" in a drawing, but the data sheet is for a 335 / SR512SW.

That is a problem.. You do not appear to have allowed for the transmit current, ~9 to 14mA (data sheet section 5.5).

The SR512SW is not really intended for high loads; the "high current" pulse test in the datasheet uses a 2K load, so around 0.6mA (compared to around 9uA for normal discharge).

That 9+ mA is likely to kill the battery and reset the IC, either instantly or quite early on, compared to the expected life if the current was low.

It would need a fairly large capacitor to buffer the IC current, at least, if it could work at all with that cell.

That's a "low drain" cell type, according to Renata - they categorise cell types as low or high drain, plus special high pulse types (not listed in that data); see here:

Thank you! Yeah I had that confused from a previous project. So then I would have to go slightly wider, slightly thicker or both but either of these should work right?

Attachments

• Renata 339.pdf
    110.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Renata 346.pdf
    112.4 KB · Views: 28
Those are still both in the "Low drain" class rather than high drain; the 361 or 376 are fairly small, in the high drain class?
- But, the data does not give any info on peak current capabilities for any of those.

I think you need to contact Renata technical support to find out from them what cells can support the peak current the transmitter needs, without compromising the battery life too much.

Thank you! I'll give them A call. I think low friends is what I'm looking for since I want the battery to last for multiply years but like you pointed out there are those spikes that it needs to be able to handle as well.

A common technique for long life batteries is to add a super capacitor across it, with the super capacitor providing the high current pulses which the long life batteries are unable to supply.

However, I suspect the tiny size requirement might preclude that?.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back