Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RSS journey begins..!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Photos!

Hi Guys,
Snapshots of my regen wizard. Enjoy :p

I think I've done it pretty neatly. But not much satisfied on the layout. I was excited so much and done the planning and assembly within one day.

Still I'm searching for a good quality tuning cap in place of the dirty trimmer which is making frequency drifts while attempting to tune using a metal tool.

Anyway the 50pf trimmer clearly covers the entire fm band .

Attachments

• distant_view2.PNG
    distant_view2.PNG
    606.9 KB · Views: 143
  • distant_view.PNG
    distant_view.PNG
    674 KB · Views: 148
  • close_up_back.PNG
    close_up_back.PNG
    630 KB · Views: 159
More close-ups!

Some more pics................................................

Attachments

• RF.PNG
    RF.PNG
    605.1 KB · Views: 141
  • close_up.PNG
    close_up.PNG
    719.1 KB · Views: 146
  • night_view.PNG
    night_view.PNG
    636.9 KB · Views: 146
Hi Guys,
Still I'm searching for a good quality tuning cap in place of the dirty trimmer which is making frequency drifts while attempting to tune using a metal tool.

Anyway the 50pf trimmer clearly covers the entire fm band .

Hi BC,
An old plastic knitting needle filed down, makes a nice trimmer,

Raid your girl friends knitting box...:)

Last edited:
Audio

Here's a close inspection on the audio performance of my receiver recorded using a high quality wireless voice recorder placing close to it.

That tells everything about this regen.

Tuning is done by stretching the RF coil and u can also see that the oscillator stops sometimes when I touched on the RF areas!
(You won't understand anything, but a western music also catched. Cheers! :D)

Attachments

• recorded.zip
    6.6 MB · Views: 136
Yes, the radio works. Congratulations.

You play weird music in your country.
I hear 20% to 30% distortion from the radio because the "slope-detection" is a poor way to detect FM.
The speaker is small and has no enclosure so it does not produce bass frequencies.
Maybe Indian music does not have bass frequencies?

A little thing you may not be aware of, the adjustment slot on the trimmer is connected to one set of vanes, that set of vanes should be connected to the 0volt line in order to minimise interaction when adjusting the trimmer.
Otherwise when you touch the trimmer, you will be adding capacitance to the tuned circuit.
See my edited version of one of your pictures.

JimB

Attachments

• close_up edited.PNG
    close_up edited.PNG
    616.6 KB · Views: 137
The instuctions for the project say to buy a cheap little radio and use its tuning capacitor and knob.

Hey Eric, that's a good idea! :D

Thanks Jimb for ur suggestion. Anyway I'll find out an fm gang cap soon. I've left required space around the trimmer.

Guruji,
I'll give 10% distortion for the audio. The most distorted files in my recording are not properly tuned stations. Because I'm using the coil stretching method. After tuning it'll return back a little bit.

Yesterday I've connected a good quality Hi-Fi headphone and I got extreme bass and treble. Truly unbelievable!

It has plenty of volume when I put the speaker inside an enclosure. Also more realistic sound.

I've a plan to make it modify for AM band.

Also I'm planning to add a single stage BC549 and to replace the LM386 with my TA7368P amp(more power!) :p. That should give a more decent performance. A pretty neat construction inside an enclosure .Not exactly now.

Special thanks for everyone who've enjoyed my music recordings :D:D

Yea, I bought one fm only tunig capacitor. Just glued it on to the board in place of trimmer and the trimmer kicked away. Attached a plastic knob and now everything looks marvellous. I can tune in stations easily and no frequency drifts. :)

The tuning gang capacitor was very cheap. Only Rs: 8 :D
But the combined AM/FM big gang cap costs Rs: 50!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back