Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RS232 bus control

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikemikemike

I am doing a project with 8051 control mutiple rs232 device. they are all in different protocol, how can i control them without affecting even others?

is there any ic can deal with such problem
or i should change the not using 8051

Can you be a bit more clear? Is the idea to have a single 8051 with its UART connected to several other RS232 devices at once? Is the difficulty that each of your slave devices has a different protocol?

yes, you got my idea. i use 8051 to control different device with different protocol . All these devices with predefined proctocol, may ASCII or bitstream.

is there any IC can buffer such connection?

I think you need to post a lot more info, such as - how many serial conections do you need?, what are the speeds and protocols?, are they just slave devices with all communication intiated by the processor?.

As a minimum I would imagine you will need a MAX232 for each serial connection, and two pins on the processor, and write multiple software USART's - or at least one, which you can set to use different pins.

If you use RS485 which supports multidrop configurations, this seems relatively straightforward. I've built a similar device in the past that interfaced with amongst other things a toledo weigh scale. I believe there were 6 slaves on the bus. The processor would interpret macro commands coming to it from the host controller. Then it would convert those into a series of commands to read/write the proper sequence from the devices. RS485 is very similar to RS232 so the conversion is straightforward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back