Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RS 232 communication help

Status
Not open for further replies.

pe_vivek

HI ALL,
I have one electronic Trivector meter for measurement of electrical energy. This meter has a RS232 communication port. i want to download all stored data of meter in to my personal computer. Operating system on my Personal computer is windows 98. How can in communicate to meter and download the data to my computer.

pe_vivek said:
HI ALL,
I have one electronic Trivector meter for measurement of electrical energy. This meter has a RS232 communication port. i want to download all stored data of meter in to my personal computer. Operating system on my Personal computer is windows 98. How can in communicate to meter and download the data to my computer.

You can use HyperTerminal (which comes with Windows) to communicate with it, but it's quite likely you would need to know the protocols involved - which are likely to be specific to the meter - not just the serial protocols (speed and number of bits), but the communication protocol the meter uses.

I was at one point interested in a radio shack meter that had RS232... until I found out the serial protocol...

what it did was send a long series of packets, where all the data bits LITERALLY represented the status of each of the LCD segments on the display (7 segments per digit, plus all decimal points, signs, and other various bits) and I believe it only operated at 9600 baud. Talk about a crude way to send data! :lol:

In Ontario, RadioShack recently changed their name to "The Source (circuit city)".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back