Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RRF and RLF instruction in ASM

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdman0_o

Hey guys,

I have a question regarding the asm instructions RRF (rotate right through carry) and RLF (rotate left through carry).

Whenever I use these instructions what happens is that the original register gets modified if I use this instruction multiple times.

For example, when I use it with my 74HC595 serial - parallel shift register and I shift it 8 times, it isn't restored to what it originally was. I am showing a, lets say for the sake of argument 3 at first, it displays, but when the loop gets to showing the 3 again, its completely changed.

I've always used the 16f628a, perhaps it is only a problem with this uC.

Anybody have any similar experience?

Ok I have a lead that a friend mentioned, perhaps I modify the C register before shifting but while looking through my code I do not see anywhere where that could be happening!

Code:
HC595 MACRO Var,Var1

Local Loop		; Local Label
	MOVLW .8		; Transfer 8 bits
  	MOVWF Var1		; Initializing counter

Loop	
	RLF Var,f	; Rotate "Var" one place to the left
	BTFSS STATUS,C	; Is carry 1?
	BCF Bits		; If not set data line to 0
	BTFSC STATUS,C	; Is carry 0?
	BSF Bits		; If not set data line to 1

BSF Clock		; Generate one clock
	BCF Clock		;

DECFSZ Var1,f	; Has 8 bits been sent?
	GOTO Loop		; If not, repeat

BSF Latch		; If all 8 bits have been sent, set latch
	BCF Latch

ENDM

Hi Mike,

I think you'll find that if you do one additional rlf Var,f instruction at the end of your macro then Var will contain the orignal value. I would suggest watching the Var variable and single stepping through the loop using the MPLAB Simulator so you can see what's going on but I don't think the Simulator will single step through a macro.

You might also consider using a pair of rlf instructions to rotate the b7 bit into the b0 position;

Code:
        movlw   8               ;
        movwf   Var1            ;
Loop
[COLOR=Magenta]        rlf     Var,W           ; pseudo RLNCF instruction
        rlf     Var,F           ;
[/COLOR]        bcf     Bits            ;
        skpnc                   ;
        bsf     Bits            ;
        bsf     Clock           ;
        bcf     Clock           ;
        decfsz  Var1,F          ; all 8 bits sent?
        goto    Loop            ; no, branch, else
        bsf     Latch           ;
        bcf     Latch           ;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back