Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Robot DC motors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks ok. A surprisingly low value. Good luck with the build. I wouldn't like to be anywhere near if the flywheel broke loose :D.

Post deleted

alright so i have need an output of 12 W approx from DC motor . how much efficiency can i expect from DC brushed motor ?? is 50% a safe guess ?? :confused:

Last edited:
I don't know. Do some googling. Bear in mind that the motor will be more or less stalled for a lengthy period while getting the flywheel up to speed, so will draw a large current. I guess efficiency varies with rpm and load.

ok . got a really good deal on DC motor . A used DC motor of 24 V and 9.6 A with 450RPM . i'm guessing the efficiency to be around 50% . is it going to be enough ?

is it going to be enough ?
Time will tell :).
BTW, is that 9.6A the current at max speed? If so the stall current will be MUCH greater.
You will need bigger batteries than 5Ah if you want more than a few minutes running time.

Time will tell :).
You will need bigger batteries than 5Ah if you want more than a few minutes running time.

yup it is the current at max speed . i thought about using a 24V 7Ah batteries . think it will be enough . i only need them to run motor for 12 to 15 minutes

If I were building this I would assume the average motor current would be ~20A, which means the 7Ah battery would be completely flattened in 7/20h = 20mins. You don't want to run a battery completely flat or you'll kill it. So 7Ah would not be enough for 12-15 mins in my opinion.
BTW, are you aware the gyro effect of that flywheel will be huge and make the robot impossible to steer unless the flywheel axis is vertical?

If I were building this I would assume the average motor current would be ~20A, which means the 7Ah battery would be completely flattened in 7/20h = 20mins. You don't want to run a battery completely flat or you'll kill it. So 7Ah would not be enough for 12-15 mins in my opinion.

ok i got that . will have to think of something else then :( . this is going to be problematic

BTW, are you aware the gyro effect of that flywheel will be huge and make the robot impossible to steer unless the flywheel axis is vertical?

YUP . i'm aware of that . the flywheel axis is going to be vertical :) . i am using bevel gears to change direction of rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back