Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Robot DC motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

fortion

i am making a robot with a rotating disk of 8KG and diameter of 1.5 ft . i want to rotate this disc using DC gear motor at a speed of 100 RPM . by my calculation that would require a an output power of 30 W . can someone confirm this calculation ??? it looks wrong to me . also if i use four 30W gear motors of different RPMs namely 100 , 200 , 300 , 400 and use them simultaneously to run the disc will the disc achieve 400 RPM ??? will this assembly work ??? i am building this robot as a hobby to compete in robo war on a local level . if anyone can help i will appreciate it

Last edited:
oh and also i am using 12 V 5 Ah DC batteries to run this assembly . if anyone can help i will appreciate it

Are you trying to make a gyroscope (flywheel) to stabilize the robot?

by my calculation that would require a an output power of 30 W
How did you calculate that?

first of all i calculated I , moment of inertia , 1/2m(r square) . Then i calculated torque which is torque= I*(rad/sec) . I put 100 RPM after converting it . and then finally Power = torque*(rad/sec) . is this method correct ???

is this method correct ?
Only partly. I and torque enable angular acceleration to be calculated. You also need a time factor to get rpm. Your Watts will determine acceleration, not rpm. In theory, in a lossless system, no power would be used to maintain a given rpm (but of course your flywheel won't be lossless :)).

Only partly. I and torque enable angular acceleration to be calculated. You also need a time factor to get rpm. Your Watts will determine acceleration, not rpm. In theory, in a lossless system, no power would be used to maintain a given rpm (but of course your flywheel won't be lossless :)).
thanks a lot . i see my mistake now :)

ok so this time i followed this method :-

l i calculated I , moment of inertia , 1/2m(r square) . i want my disc to rotate at 100RPM (10.466 rad/sec ) and want it to attain this speed in 2 secs . so i calculated (Angular Acceleration)=(rad/sec)/time . next i calculated torque by torque= I*angular acceleration . and finally i used POWER = torque * (rad/sec) . the answer comes out to be 11.44 W . i did all this calculation in SI units . is my calculation correct now ?

Post deleted.

Last edited:
i used mass 8 kg to calculate the moment of inertia . i used the formula I= 1/2 m*r squared . i think this is correct

IIRC that is indeed the formula for the I of a disc.

if it's a weapon, forget about a gearmotor; use a series/universal motor give it a couple minutes to spin up, and let 'er rip. Can you imagine that disk spiining @ 20,000 RPM when it hits your foe? Instant win.

my calculation is correct this time ?
Well I got 16.4W using an online units converter. So one of us is a bit out :).

Well I got 16.4W using an online units converter. So one of us is a bit out :).

did that convertor calculate output or input power . did you multiply it with a service factor ?? if you calculated output then you are probably right because i was converting units by myself so possibly i made a mistake :) . i will recheck

Last edited:
if it's a weapon, forget about a gearmotor; use a series/universal motor give it a couple minutes to spin up, and let 'er rip. Can you imagine that disk spiining @ 20,000 RPM when it hits your foe? Instant win.

if i use a series motor it will give my weapon very good RPM no doubt but would it be able to give me a continuous good torque . i mean if i use a geared universal motor , i.e limit its rpm but increase its torque , would it be more effective or not ??

did that convertor calculate output or input power
Neither. It converted a calculated energy value in Kg.metres to Watt.secs
did you multiply it with a service factor ?
No. What is a 'service factor' in this context ? What do you regard as 'output' here? I was calculating the theoretical power (in Watts) required to accelerate an 8kg disc in a lossless system. I have a feeling I may have lost a factor of 2xpi somewhere, though. 16W seems far too low a figure. My applied maths is pretty rusty :). Anyone else out there feel like doing the sums?

Last edited:
What do you regard as 'output' here?
by output i mean that when we are in a system which is not loss less , there will be some difference between input power supplied to the motor and the output power given by the motor . so the input power will be greater by a factor than output power

okay redid the calculation this time using online convertors :

m=8 kg

dia.=1.5 ft

so , r=.75 ft = .2286m

I = 1/2 m*(r squared) = (0.5)(8)(.2286)square
=(4)(0.05225)= .20903184

ω=100 RPM =10.4719755 rad/s

t=2 sec

α(angular acceleration) =ω/t = 10.4719755/2 = 5.235985 rad/sec squared

τ(torque)= I * α = .20903184 * 5.235985 = 1.094487579 Nm

P (power) = τ * ω = 1.094487579 * 10.4719755 = 11.46144 W

is this method alright ??