Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RLC circuit by superposition method

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhaniko93

I have such a question: if on RLC circuit, initial conditions are not set to zero, I mean, if capacitor, for example, has some initial charge, then superposition method cannot be applied to the circuit because it is no longer linear, right? I simulated it in PROTEUS, and got correct results (see attached pic.). And now, on page 667 of "Foundations of Analog and Digital Electronic Circuits" by Anant Agarwal, he uses superposition to solve RLC circuit with initial conditions..... can anyone please tell me whats's wrong?

I have such a question: if on RLC circuit, initial conditions are not set to zero, I mean, if capacitor, for example, has some initial charge, then superposition method cannot be applied to the circuit because it is no longer linear, right? I simulated it in PROTEUS, and got correct results (see attached pic.). And now, on page 667 of "Foundations of Analog and Digital Electronic Circuits" by Anant Agarwal, he uses superposition to solve RLC circuit with initial conditions..... can anyone please tell me whats's wrong?

Hi,

Superposition is just fine for circuits that are themselves linear. The initial conditions sources are simply handled the same way you would handle multiple sources in a circuit without an initial conditions. For example, in that circuit if the cap has an initial voltage then it can be drawn as a small battery in series with the capacitor with a voltage equal to the initial voltage of the capacitor (observing polarity of course). Since the circuit already has a battery in it, this 'new' battery simply adds in series with that battery. So with a source voltage of 5v and an initial cap voltage of 2v (left negative, right positive) it would be just like analyzing a circuit with a 7v battery and no initial cap voltage because the two sources add in series. It's usually not that simple however because often the cap goes to ground so you've got to handle the new source as a separate source and actually use superposition.

There are a couple ways to handle initial condition source generators though so perhaps you might read up on that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back