Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ribbon cable crimping

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrz126

I have a bunch of ribbon cable connectors that I'm using for my project. They are 10 pin connectors and they came with only 4" of cable, so I bought some larger lengths of cable and I am trying to extend them, the problem I have is that I cant force the cable into the terminal thingys.

Should I spend the money and buy something similar to this? **broken link removed**

Or is there an easy way of doing it? I'm thinking I may just be able to use my soldering iron to melt the insulation on the wire alittle to make it easer to crimp. I only had a few minutes to try this though (stupid school getting in the way of my projects :roll: ).

I am open to suggestions.

you got acess to a vice?

they should be good, but I have one of these (this type) at work. That orange plastic thing that you can turn over for different depth of ribbon crimp inot secured to the main crimp and as you have everything lined up it slips

I do have a vise and a wide variety of pliers and such.
I was thinking of using my vise, but will I need a jig of some sort to hold the wire so that I can push the wire down on the terminals (without crushing the terminals themselves)?

Maybe I can use the vise to hold the wire and the connector at the bottom while I try to work the wire on at the top.

I dont feel like paying the money for some tool like that, and I dont want to have to wait to have it shipped to me, so I'm going to have to figure something out.

I wouldn't suggest melting the insulation, you may find that it causes more problems than it solves. I have crimped these type of connectors using a bench vise. Tape a piece of thin (1/16") sheet metal inside each of the vise jaws to keep from damaging the plastic of your connectors. Place the ribbon cable in the connector in the desired orientation and put the cable cover in place. Place this entire assembly into the vise jaws and very gently close the jaws, only to the point of crimping the connector onto the cable. It's important that the pressure across the connector is evenly distributed, so that the entire connector is crimped at once.
It really sounds harder than it is. If possible, you should get the feel for doing this on some old connectors or some you don't care about. I don't have a need to do this often enough to buy a crimping tool, but I've had good results using this method. Of course, you could buy the crimper...
Good luck!
JB

I would use the vice and a great deal of care,
but a crude jig can be readily made using "Polymorph"
plastic, wonderfull stuff , turns to a stiff putty after a minute in hot water,
sets hard like nylon plastic when cool. Completely reusable and non toxic.

You can line up the wires straight with the plastic backing, and keep them in place while you gently put on the connector with the teeth. Then just take a pair of pliers and squeeze down. You won't break anything if you don't go crazy. :)

I used to use a cola can + book for my ribbon cable crimping needs until I brought pliers in. :lol:

One method I used for field repair:
1. Place the connector with fingers up on a hard surface (desk, etc.)
2. Lay the cable on so you can see the first and last pins, leaving
at least 1/2" overlap.
3. Press down on the cable to start all the pins penetrating, then
roll, from the center out, both ways, using a soft plastic body such
as a felt-tip marker pen, until the cable is gripped.
4. Attach the cover, then squeeze the cover to the connector,
preferably with a vise to maintain parallel force. You can use
pliers if you are careful, and do not attempt to make the distance
up all at once, but work back and forth from one end to the other.

I have used this method successfully for 20 years.
<als>

Ok, the vise works awsome. I was afraid breaking the back piece if I used it to apply the pressure to crimp it.

Thanks for the help :)

Also be aware that if you buy 'the tool' you also have to buy the appropiate dies, which cost as much as the tool does, at least in the T&B brand...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back