Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RGB Led PWM controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

computer

Hi,

I was wondering if some of you can help me.

I want something that will control 4 RGB leds (through transistors) and PWM them from a PIC chip. I need schematics, chip and code information as I have no knowledge on this, I may also be willing to get someone to program one of these chips for me and then pop it in the post if I pay them for it/the cost/etc.

So,
I need 3 outputs, one for red, green and blue. I need to be able to connect it to some rotary encoders, which I need to buy (I am looking at some ones from Rapid, for £4 which have a push output as well).

I need it so that 3 rotary encoders will turn to control the red, green and blue respectively, and when you push one of the rotary encoders (1-3) it will save their values in its memory, so they can be 'triggered' from 3 push buttons (so I can have 3 presets). I also need an on/off switch, but I think I can manage that ;).

Hope someone can help me, I'm in the UK btw,
computer

PS: I think I need a really idiots guide/lots of help here! I don't have any PIC stuff, no programmers, chips or anything, just some RGB leds and lots of other electronics.
PPS: This needs to run from a LV 12v transformer which is regulated.

I am using software control to dim 3 led (pic basic), if u are interested juz pm me:>

cheers

RGB-controller using PIC 12C508

Hi,
just found this nice forum.
I have programmed a PIC 12C508 to do the following 'tricks':
- automatic colorfading, speed adjustable in 256 steps
- random colorchanging, speed adjustable in 256 steps
- strobe with automatic colorfading, strobe frequency adjustable in 256 steps
- strobe with random colorchanging, strobe frequency adjustable in 256 steps
- fire simulation
- intensitiy of R (G,B)-channel adjustable in 256 steps (each) to mix static colors
- white light dimmer (256 steps)with same intensity for all 3 channels
- 3 PWM channels (R,G,B) @~80Hz
- operated via 6 buttons
forgot something:
- 'freeze' function to stop actual running FX
- 'on/off' function to switch LEDs on/off. FX is stopped when off.
At the moment i am planning a kit to make assembly easy even for 'newbies'.
Is that what You are looking for?
regards
joachim

Hi again,

are Your RGB-LEDs common anode or cathode, or a single LED for each basic color?

joachim

well I have some types I want to use as an indicator which is 3 positives (cant remember which is anode/cathode!) and a negative, and my main LEDs I want to use are separate ones...

so do you run all of this including the 'dimming'/level setting from the 6 buttons like a + and - setup?

also does the chip need any external components like a crystal, capacitor/etc to run, if so it might good if you'd be able to slip one in the bag so to say if the price is right...

A picture says more than 1000 words, so here is a basic schematic (a bit oversized, sorry):

Attachments

• ulti_rgb_raw.gif
    ulti_rgb_raw.gif
    72.7 KB · Views: 5,267
To drive common cathode LEDs a 'high side driver' is needed, what is a little more complicated if V+ is higher than 5V. I'll post an addendum soon.

Because i don't know the conventions of this forum concerning 'buy,sell,trade' it might be better to mail.

@RGBrainbow.. I'm trying to produce a very similar system, but I need it running at a pretty high speed. I plan to swing mine around, but need the PWM signals to be sufficiently fast that you can't see the pulses seperating out. How fast can your code / PIC run?

@G33K: It's an internally clocked 12c508. The PWM frequency is about 75Hz. Enough to avoid flickering as long as the LEDs don't move. For a propeller-clock or other moving LED stuff You'll need PWM-frequencies of 10kHz or higher. I don't think that this can be done in software without making too much compromises. Three (for RGB-stuff) fast hardware PWMs are needed or at least one multiplexed into R,G,B channel. Unfortunately Microchip still stints with PWM channels in the midrange series....
regards
joachim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back