Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF Module question

Status
Not open for further replies.

GonzoEngineer

Any of you guy's have experience using off the shelf RF Modules?

I need the ability to communicate from a boat to shore, no more than a quarter of a mile.

It is simple application, I just want to activate a winch that controls a boat rail. (A boat rail is just railroad tracks going underwater and conveying a platform for bringing the boat up on shore.

I can do all the control electronics for the winch.....just need ideas for an off the shelf rf transmitter that will work reliably at about 1/4 mile over water.

Thanks in advance!

I think that's too great a distance for off the shelf RF modules. 500 feet is more like it at least from what I've seen.

Disregard........I found what i needed.:D:D

For future reference: I found a complete package with handheld transmitter and receiver with four relay outputs. All for less than $100 from Linx Technologies.
They say it will work to 1000', which should do just fine!

I will let you know how they work when I test them!:D

I'd also check e-Bay. I seem to remember there being a lot of various simple transmitter/receiver with relay combo's available.

Something like this:
**broken link removed**

There's a 6 channel one available as well with the same design, for $23.

Something like this:
**broken link removed**

There's a 6 channel one available as well with the same design, for $23.

Thanks for the leads, but I need to buy new. It's for an installation in Maine, and I have to be able to maintain it with replacements when necessary.

Besides, the guy is rich, and he doesn't care about the cost!:D

Those are new. They're just Chinese distributors. For $100.00 you can buy 4 of them and cannibalize if you want to. If you have the money, no problem going with something more slick, though.

Last edited:
Gonzo, one thing I feel I must add, you are controlling a piece of machinery via a radio link using what I assume will be a "free for all" frequency.

You need to ensure that none of the kiddy toys which vomit all over the RF spectrum can start the thing when you dont expect it.

Something a bit more rigorous than the presence of a signal is required to start the machine, and it should stop on failure of the control signal.

Just my 2 cents worth, (or should that be 2dB worth?).

JimB

Gonzo, one thing I feel I must add, you are controlling a piece of machinery via a radio link using what I assume will be a "free for all" frequency.

You need to ensure that none of the kiddy toys which vomit all over the RF spectrum can start the thing when you dont expect it.

Something a bit more rigorous than the presence of a signal is required to start the machine, and it should stop on failure of the control signal.

He said it's a complete solution from Linx, so it will be Manchester coded, and use a specific ID - it won't simply rely on a signal or not.

Just my 2 cents worth, (or should that be 2dB worth?).

JimB

The Linx Technology stuff already takes that into consideration. No problem there.

I actually talked to one of their Engineers today, and he said the system will probably work to half a mile over water!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back