Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF help

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew8485

Hello I am in the new in electrontics but I am eager to learn and have learned the very basics, such as caps, resistors, relays, ect. with the help of this board and online tutorals. but now I want to learn more and I was thinking about trying to learn about radio frequency that is used with remotes as well as fm radios and tried to do a search for some tororials by using the key words " fm tutorial" and "parts of a fm radio" but had no luck. do you guys have any sugestions for a site to go to or keyword to use to search.

I'm baffled as to why you didn't search for "rf tutorial". **broken link removed** is one hit I got as a result of that search. There are probably others.

ok, i read a few sites now and understand how to make a radio receiver and transmitter, which i am glad of :D . But now i want to know how the cap and coil and other stuff sort out that one frequency and block all the other 8) . THANKS A MILLION for the reply

andrew8485 said:
ok, i read a few sites now and understand how to make a radio receiver and transmitter, which i am glad of :D . But now i want to know how the cap and coil and other stuff sort out that one frequency and block all the other 8) . THANKS A MILLION for the reply

A capacitor and coil form a 'tuned circuit' which resonates at a certain frequency - imagine tapping a glass with a spoon, it resonates at a particular frequency, and only at that frequency. A capacitor and coil do the same thing, but electronically, not mechanically - and where you can alter the frequency of the glass by adding water to it, you can alter the frequency of the coil/cpacitor by altering either the coil or the capacitor.

Several amateur radio references are likely to be good sources of information. My favorite is the Radio Amateur's Handbook published by the American Radio Relay League. Since RF is a big part of the hobby you can exepct much of the book to focus on that subject. I know of no way to access it on-line.

Ok I like how you used a glass of water and a spoon. Hear is what I am understanding = the spoon acts like an Antenna of a transmitter and send a magnetic field into the air (or a wave in the water for the case of the spoon and cup). But now lets say there is another spoon (another radio transmitter on a different frequency) that hits the same cup of water (air) even though there on a different frequency it still affects the waves from the other transmitter. Causing a totally different wave that was transmitted from either one. this part Is confusing me. thanks once again and have a good holiday

andrew8485 said:
Ok I like how you used a glass of water and a spoon. Hear is what I am understanding = the spoon acts like an Antenna of a transmitter and send a magnetic field into the air (or a wave in the water for the case of the spoon and cup). But now lets say there is another spoon (another radio transmitter on a different frequency) that hits the same cup of water (air) even though there on a different frequency it still affects the waves from the other transmitter. Causing a totally different wave that was transmitted from either one. this part Is confusing me. thanks once again and have a good holiday

You're going beyond the spoon/glass idea :lol:

If you want to carry it further, you've probably heard the stories about opera singers breaking glasses - no contact required, just singing a pure note at the glasses resonant frequency. If they sing at the wrong frequency nothing happens, but at the exact correct frequency the glass will resonate - breaking though, is a debatable matter. In a similar way a tuned circuit only responds to one frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back