Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF circuit design for for software defined radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

siyom

I'm tasked with designing the RF section of a DSP radio, the whole antena RF filter and Amp I can source elsewhere,
Now my question is this,is there a chip I can buy that readily picks up the FM spectrum and then amplifies it?
My supervisor suggested I buy an actual radio and then use that specific RF section.I don't like that idea
any thoughts

the FM spectrum
FM is a modulation mode not a frequency.
Do you mean the 88 to 108 Mhz broadcast band?

the RF section of a DSP radio
At what frequency is the DSP to take place?
Is there to be a down conversion to a lower frequency?
Who is designing the mixer and local oscillator?

is there a chip I can buy
Sounds more like a job for a low noise transistor.
What output level (voltage) is required to drive the ADC?

For the filtering, I think that you will need several tuned circuits to give the required response.

JimB

FM is a modulation mode not a frequency.
Do you mean the 88 to 108 Mhz broadcast band?

Yes generaly around that range

At what frequency is the DSP to take place?
Is there to be a down conversion to a lower frequency?

yes there will be donwconversion,to around 50KHz a range that the DSP kit can handle

Who is designing the mixer and local oscillator?
I will be doing the designing

Sounds more like a job for a low noise transistor.

Is it?I don't have much experience with RF circuit hence it was suggested that I buy a ready made RF filter/Amp module to avoid having to design those modules(I'm a student by the way)

What output level (voltage) is required to drive the ADC?

For the filtering, I think that you will need several tuned circuits to give the required response.
Can I get those in an IC package that i can just use

JimB

Here is a line of radios that use dsp.
upload_2014-9-1_7-48-33.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back