Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

reworking workshop windows and X11 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostman11

this is all part of my attempt to reorganise the workshop!! at present its too messy to work in and i cant find a thing!!! also as per the other thread i am taking the opportunity to build some bits like a PSU as again for now i just use a old ATX supply wich works fine but could be better :D.
anyway to get to the point my logic analyzer is 80% sorted (just needs the CFC/hard drive conversion) but basicaly its up and almost running, this is where the question comes in.. at the mo i have two fairly good sized benches one has the pc on it and various bits the other has test equipment and the mercury light above it and soldering stations etc, so when i alter code etc i then have to switch seats and benches to look at the scope and logic analyzer, ok this is realy no big deal but............. turns out both logic analyzers (both have scopes on them as well) are X11 enabled,
so i am wondering if anyone has experiance of using test equipment controlled via a pc? it would be kinda nice to alter the code and then switch screens to look at the scope or analyzer. not to mention screen capture etc etc. so how good is X11? and whats it like to set up on win7 64bit (this is where i think i will have trouble) or is the whole thing just a waste of time with little advantage?
on a side note once the workshop is better sorted i will post pics:D so far i am adding racks with plastic draws for components etc in an effort to get organised :pand i am trying to segregate work areas instead of the everything heaped in one place approach i use at the mo
jason

Long ago I set up an older MAC to use X11 to a Unix machine I had no control of. That protocal was quite open. The Unix host attempted connection with the terminal. You just use an X11 emulator on the PC side. Getting both to work was fun, but not impossible. IP addresses needed to be known at both ends.

I was unsuccessful when security was added.

the x11 side of things is built into the Logic analyzer and there is some great documentation for it, after looking through the menus on the LA it gives you full control on the configuration includeing the IP address, so i might give this a go tommorow, i will let you know how it goes.

Remember to open the firewall. You might try with Windows firewall disabled for your first try. I have no idea what emulator to use for Windows.

for anyone interested i had a result and after much searching i came accros this tutorial! for the same family of logic analyzer that i am using, it looks pretty straightforward (famous last words) i will let you know how it works out

Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. Here is a tutorial of sorts for X11 over SSH.

PS: I didn't see a link in your post above.

I'll have to find it again.

I had issues with cygwin too, but I forget what they were. Whatever it was my solution is on the web somewhere. Someone added it to their cygwin website with credits to me. Cygwin is a linux like environment.

I know one thing I had issues with. Accessing windows files with spaces in the filenames.

I did a man in the middle thingy with cygwin. That was tough and I did remote logins based on certificates alone.

Win Pro 7 has other ways of running the linux environment through virtualization, but I havn't tried it yet.

I do have XP running under Win 7 pro though.

Putty implements X11 under SSH for sure.

A terminal emulator is another way to go.

i have a few enviroments i can try, on the main pc i have win7 64bit running virtual software so i have xp pro and linux on that one. i also have a straight linux box i can try.
ive read a couple of things around the web mentioning problems but alot of them seem to have been based on the fonts issue. i dont have a 'need' as such for x11 but as i said in first post it would be a realy nice to have capability for screen shots and debuging in one area, if it dosnt work out then nothing lost i guess.
all thats dependant on me getting my grotty hovel of a workshop in order!!! no easy task in itself :D:D although i have made a solom vow never to let it get as bad as it is again!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back