Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

reversing rotation on 110v ac motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenhop

maybe i can get help here. I have a 110v/220v single phase motor that i would like to put on my boat dock to to use on a boat lift. I bought a reversing drum switch but it came without instructions I know that the motor can be made to rptate in either direction but i do not know which 2 leads must be switched back and forth. Can someone help me?

Rather than rely on luck, I suggest connecting a 200 watt lamp in series with the motor (no load) and try different combinations until it rotates in the right direction. The lamp will just get brighter if the connection is not good. Please remember to pull the plug before changing connections!

Some motors actually have a label on the outside or inside the housing where the power connection is made. Sometimes you'll see 4 terminals - 2 for the power and 2 that appear to connect internally. Sometimes reversing the wires on these two will reverse the rotation. Once you know what to do with the motor you'll have to figure out how the switch works then adapt it accordingly.

Single phase motors are reversed by reversing the start winding leads. These are frequently (in the US) labeled T5 and T8, 5 and 8 or red and black. Check on the motor name plate to confirm that this is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back