Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rev Counter not counting correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Impulse

I've built a basic counter module with 3 LED displays, It works, but I have coupled it to a photo interrupter so that i can count revolutions. Now it seems to jump 5 to 10 places per revolution. I'm guessing there must be spikes in the signal coming from the photo interrupter. Does anyone have any suggestions to making this more stable?

Maybe interference from ambient light or radiated heat?
Did you use a shielded cable for the light sensor?

A schematic diagram of your circuit would help us to help you ...
JB

Schematic

Here is a basic schematic of the system.

Attachments

• counterver1pic.jpg
    counterver1pic.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 467
I suggest you insert a low pass filter followed by a Schmitt Trigger IC such as the 74LS14 in the signal line.

I''ll try to draw a diagram

Collector of NPN transistor------resistor-----A-----Schmitt Trigger-------> U2/5

Connect the capacitor from A to gnd.

Len

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back