Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resolution of temperature sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerryd

Electro Tech,

I'm about to use a TMP35 temperature sensor which has a 10mv/degree C
scale factor. Is 10mv also the resolution? Couldn't find it in the datasheet.

jerryd

Electro Tech,

I'm about to use a TMP35 temperature sensor which has a 10mv/degree C
scale factor. Is 10mv also the resolution? Couldn't find it in the datasheet.

jerryd

hi,
No its not the resolution, its the sensitivity, so thats 10mV/C or 1mV/0.1C
The basic circuit for the LM35 is from +2C thru +150C

The resolution is determined by the adc converter and the tempr range to be converted.

eg: for a range of 100C with a 8bit adc converter thats a resolution of 100C/255 = 0.39C/bit
for a 10bit resolution 100C/1023 = 0.09/bit

The accuracy specification for the LM35 is ~ +/-0.25C

ericgibbs,

Ok I get that.

You say that the sensitivity of the TMP35 can
be 1mV/0.1C

I have a 10 bit a/d with 0-5volt reference(VSS, VDD).
So 5/1023 = .0048875 v/dac count.

So with that dac resolution it looks like I can't read
10ths of degrees.

Thanks for the reply.
jerryd

Jerry,

As it is, you are using 0 - 5v range which equals (5/0.01) a 500°C range (which the sensor isn't even capable of).

You need to narrow your range either by lowering your A/D Vref or amplifying the temperature sensor output by using an op-amp to get the resolution you require.

For example you can have your -Vref set to 2.2195V and your +Vref set to 3.2435V to give you a range of -51.2°C to +51.2°C and a resolution of (102.4/1024) 0.1°C.

Also, if you do it that way then each LSB equals 0.1°C making your programming a lot easier.

Last edited:
Gobbledok,

I would cange my reference voltages but the 16F88 controller
uses RA2 and RA3 for that and those ports are already
committed to another function on my board.

Not sure if I want to go the op-amp route.

Thanks for the reply.
jerryd

I would cange my reference voltages but the 16F88 controller
committed to another function on my board.

Not sure if I want to go the op-amp route.

Half a degree resolution is the best you can get then.

Half a degree resolution is the best you can get then.

hi,
This in not correct, the accuracy is ~+/-0.25C.

The resolution can be whatever you chose, once set up the 'repeatability' is good, so if you are using the LM35 for measuring temperature 'change' , it works OK.
The response time for change in temperature is slow, check the datasheet.

If you use the LM35 and can determine the 'error' on the accuracy, it fairly easy in the program to adjust for this error.

These comments are based on my experience using the LM35 over many years.

hi,
This in not correct, the accuracy is ~+/-0.25C.

The resolution can be whatever you chose...

Hi Eric I am aware of that however the OP has said that he doesn't want to use an op-amp and is using 0 and 5V references.

Therefore his best resolution is (5/1024) 4.88mV, equal to 0.488°C for a 10-bit ADC.

Last edited:
Hi Eric I am aware of that however the OP has said that he doesn't want to use an op-amp and is using 0 and 5V references.

Therefore his best resolution is (5/1024) 4.88mV, equal to 0.488°C.

I agree the 'overall' resolution of the LM35 and the PIC at 10bits is 0.488C.:)
But the way I read your post suggested that the 'best' LM35 resolution is only 0.5C.

This is always a problem with short text posts, they can be read in different ways.

He didn't say he was forced to use the 5v as Vref? Just that he didn't want to use opamps?

It's pretty easy to use something like a 1.8v blue LED and a resistor to be a 1.8v Vref and use that for the ADC unit. The datasheets usually say 2v is the minimum that Vref should be used, but this is to ensure full linearity at full range, especially the top of ADC range. For an LM32 that puts out 0.020v to (say?) 0.800v a 1.8v Vref will work fine and be linear enough.

He didn't say he was forced to use the 5v as Vref? Just that he didn't want to use opamps?

He said:

...I would cange my reference voltages but the 16F88 controller
committed to another function on my board...

So yep +5V ref.

It's pretty easy to use something like a 1.8v blue LED and a resistor to be a 1.8v Vref and use that for the ADC unit. The datasheets usually say 2v is the minimum that Vref should be used, but this is to ensure full linearity at full range, especially the top of ADC range. For an LM32 that puts out 0.020v to (say?) 0.800v a 1.8v Vref will work fine and be linear enough.

I would never recommend using an LED as a reference source, as well as being emitters they are also light sensitive.

And has Gobbledok, points out the OP is committed to the internal Vref

LEDs are not too bad as a Vref reference. The light sensitivity is mainly when they are reverse biased, but forward baised they are fairly voltage stable (better than most Vdd) and make less noise than a zener (which is reverse biased of course).

But I should apologise as I missed the point about the PIC pins being already allocated. I'll shut up now. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back