Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resistors resistors resistors....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaDa

I've been cursed with good luck...
I have been given thousands of resistors all nicely packed into labeled drawers!
The problem is I only have a certain amount of storage space and seriously doubt I'll ever use the vast majority of them.
I have some sub-1 ohm carbons and high wattage wire wound ones but the majority are 1/4W, 1/2W, 2W and 5W carbons - from 1ohm up to 5M!
I know they are over 10 years old maybe older.

Are they worth anything - could I sell them?
Do they have a usable shelf life - should I just bin them?

Is there a sensible approach to this or am I obliged to store them 'just in case' (erk!)

Ill give you $10 for the lot.

Honestly, if you plan on pursuing a electronics hobby or career, you should keep them.

Carbon and wire-wound resistors should hold their resistance in tolerance for an infinite time in storage.

Humidity is the only thing that can affect carbon resistors in storage...I believe. Temperature plays a role... but typical storage temps should not affect them.

Last edited:
In my experience, it is never a good idea to get rid of any electronics or electronic components. For me, it led to a somewhat cluttered workspace, but any time I got rid of electronics, I ended up realizing a couple months later that I needed them! :D
If you ask me, it is definitely worth finding a good place to store them all. They make tall cases with a lot of drawers that would work perfectly. Something like this is a popular choice:
**broken link removed**
Der Strom

Last edited:
I would separate the 1/4 watt resistors into the E24 series and have them readily available for common use as these will probably be the ones you'll mostly be using. Keep the others in storage but not to hard to get to.

In my experience, it is never a good idea to get rid of any electronics or electronic components.
Der Strom
The person that dies with the biggest stock of components wins! ;)

Ken

The person that dies with the biggest stock of components wins! ;)

Ken

:D
For proof: Look at your (Ken's) signature.
I rest my case :D

Don't I know it. Just ask my wife. ;)

Ken

Thanks everyone.
They're already in 2 metal framed/plastic drawered versions of that storage.
I think I'll take out the bigger ones and put them into small zip lock bags and store them in the loft.
and then just keep the lower powered ones - condensing them into just one storage box.

Well, like they say, you can't be too rich, too thin or have too many resistors. I've got a large-ish collection I found years ago discarded somewhere (dozens, not thousands like you have) which has served me will in my tinkering career. I'm only just now getting to the point where I actually have to go out and buy resistors for a project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back