Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resistors in series with rectifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diver300

Most Helpful Member
I've just fixed an amplifer/tuner. The transformer has a main and an auxiliary output. The auxiliary output has 1 ohm resistors on the AC side of the rectifier.

The resistors were 1/4W film ones, and had failed. There was no burning to indicate failure, and one had gone open circuit, and the other read around 200k ohms.

What are the resistors for? I had never seen resistors like that before. They seem to be rated at too low a power rating, so I replaced them with larger ones.

A mixture of surge limiters and fuses, so you shouldn't really replace them with larger ones, and the originals might even be special fusible resistors.

if the originals were flameproof types (which from experience i would expect them to be) they should be replaced with flameproof types. it's very likely something else is wrong at or after the rectifier if they're blown. a shorted regulator or rectifier are likely.

The resistors have gradually "burnt out."
They are "fuses" or "safety resistors" or "fusible resistors."
Replace them with the same type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back