Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resistor values for a keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

probablyjoel

I'm new to the electronics world and am trying to find out if there is a general rule of thumb for relating resistor values to steps in a keyboard... i.e. if there is something like 100 ohms between c and c#. help please! All i'm using is a simple 40106 oscillator.

If piano keyboard frequencies are equally spaced on a logarithmic scale, then yes.
But the 100 ohms would increase by some constant factor, not stay at an absolute value of 100. The factor is what stays constant.

Equal temperament - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
ok... so if i find the equal temperment between each frequency, how will i convert that into resistor value?

Frequencies of Musical Notes

I don't know diddly about music, but. . .

A above middle C is 440 Hz and middle C is 261.63 Hz so your resistor values for A would be 440Ω and for C, 261.63 Ω, or some multiple of that, e.g., 4400 Ω and 2616.3Ω. Absolute freq. accuracy isn't necessary unless you are going to accompany other instruments.

You may be able to find 1% resistor values that match these values closely. The question is, how close do you need for an untrained ear? 1%? 0.1%? Better than that? This gets into physiology. An upper limit on accuracy would be for the difference to be indistinguishable by an experienced conductor.

This application is ideal for a spreadsheet. You want to map as many frequencies to as many 1% resistor values as possible, without having to pad resistors.

A better way is to make dividers that follow this 12th root of 2 sequence and use one master clock.

Popera, anyone. . .?
YouTube - Hayley Westenra - O Mio Babbino Caro

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back