resistor question

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have no idea i'm thinking to use different PIC - my wild guess it's a PIC.

thanks hero the other optos must have confused me since cathode is usually pin 1

and it's not triac it's darlington i wonder if this will really trigger

i'm sorry if this was a stupid question

Last edited:
Well I don't know much about the flash you're using but normally the trigger is a small pulse applied to a small high voltage transformer which creates a few kV to ignite the tube.

The trigger pulse is normally a couple of hundred volts but low current, which is why a high voltage transistor is needed. It's also often delivered by a capacitor so a TRIAC might work.

thanks hero for the info.

i remember now since it's LED the supply should be reversed also.

i'll buy a opto with builtin triac tomorrow

The circuit you posted should trigger the flash just fine the way it is. The Diode portion of the optocoupler has a forward voltage of 1.1 volts at about 80 mA. Therefore if you want to trigger using a 5 volt pulse you have 5 volts (supply) minus 1.1 volts (forward voltage of the diode) gives you 3.9 volts. Therefore 3.9 / .080 = 48.75 and thus your 50 Ohm current limiting resistor. Connected just like the image the flash should fire when you apply 5 volts to your opto coupler with that 50 Ohms in there to limit the current.

Ron

Sorry if I mislead you, there's no need to buy a optp-TRIAC, if you already have a photo-transistor, however if you can't get hold of a photo-transistor go with the opto-TRIAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…