Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resistor problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so i a whole mess of stuff to create a mono-stable with and independent trigger but this is irrelevant as the probelm lies with a capacitor and the resistor. focus on this or just picture a simple circuit with a resistor in series with a capacitor . the basic problem is discharging the capacitor with a resistor to limit the current. What i want to know is do you i even need this resistor to limit the current. If this is possible then yay! if not heres my problem at the moment(dont want to try without resistor since i only have one capacitor at the moment and dont want to waste it); I want the capacitor to discharge very fast so how would i do this, I tried using a 100 Ω resistor and it nearly burnt out, heated up enought to burn my finger a little. how could i use a resistor with a small resistance without it burning out or should i stick with a higher resistance?(i know this basic electronics but i am a first year and still getting used to the basics)

Last edited:
Your description is insufficient to figure out your problem. Post a schematic diagram of your circuit with the problem resistor clearly identified.

what is the voltage on the capacitor when you discharge it? if it's 100V, then to discharge the cap, you need to pick a resistance that gives a current within the capability of the resistor. so for a 100V starting voltage, and a 1 watt resistor (just for example) you would choose a resistance that would keep the heat dissipation below a watt. 1 watt would be 10mA at 100V, so you would want to use a 10k or larger resistance to keep the dissipation at or below 1 watt. the voltage across the resistor will only be 100V initially and will drop off at a rate determined by the time constant of the cap and the resistor. if you're using a 1/4W resistor, you want to increase the resistance proportionally, but be aware this also increases the time constant.

so the things you want to calculate are:
initial current through the resistor I=E/R
required wattage of the discharge resistor P=EI
if the wattage is higher than the wattage rating of available resistors, solve for the minimum R using R=E^2/P

the time constant is 0.67RC which brings you to 33% of the original voltage, so keep the resistor connected for at least 5 time constants.

Last edited:
thanks this help me understand it a bit more. But i figured it out. I'm sorry i cant post a diagram if you needed one Mike i don't have the time right now but if you wont i will spend a little time tomorrow putting one together and uploading it. Basically I needed the resistor as it was helping drive the current in the right direction for the mono-stables trigger then leaking the current when the trigger was lifted but i wanted to do it so the trigger didn't need to be lifted. Couldn't find a way of doing it without lifting the trigger so changed my setup and it will work now with an almost instant discharge.

A picture is worth a thousand words. And when it comes to circuits, schematics are pictures on steroids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back