Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resistor Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

EL GORDO LOCO

I want to reduce the voltage from 5 volts to 2.7 volts how can I go about doing this. The power source is a USB to an Xbox 360 wireless controller. The Xbox 360 controller runs on 2 AAs at 1.5v+1.5v=3v. I have rechargeable batteries that are at 1.2v+1.2v=2.4v. I want to get the controller up and running on 2.7 volts, which would be in the middle of 2.4v and 3v. i dont really know any thing about resistors so i was hoping some one could help me.

Do you know how much current it takes to operate the XBox controller? You may be overloading the USB port.

The right way to do this is to use an electronic IC voltage regulator, like an LM317. There are some other (not so good) ways using the forward voltage drop of one or more rectifier diodes, but it all depends on the current requirement.

I'd suggest setting up a basic voltage divider with same-value resistors, which would give you 2.5 volts. Here's the circuit:

Resistive_divider.png

Just make sure R1 and R2 are the same.

Hope this helps!
Regards,
Matt

Do you know how much current it takes to operate the XBox controller? You may be overloading the USB port.

That's a good point. The voltage divider won't do any good if the USB port can't supply enough current....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back