Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

resistor colour codes- phase to remeber the colours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I was wondering is there a phrase I can use to remember the order of the colors? I'm required to remember the colors as a electrician

Pick your poison. There are literally dozens of phrases used with some more offensive than others. A Google will bring most up. I learned it as:

Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly and spent most o0f my formative years looking for the infamous Violet. Then too I was never the one easily offended.

Ron

thanks guys. Am having fun revising for this. My teacher says we may get one on the exam. I need every easy point I can get, Have PLENTY of practice because I accidentally split my resistor kit LOOOL. Luckily I did write on their resistances when I bought them. However I recently found some values are missing. I thought I might as well double check now.

For a version with an historical (thermionic valves) perspective:

By Being Right On Your Grid Bias Volts, Good Working.

JimB

I learned an offensive one, but to teach my grandkids I came up with this one.

Better Be Right Or Your Great Big Venture Goes West

Best way is memorize it. Colors are in order according to the colors of a rainbow except for Black, Brown and white, gold, silver. Get a visual image of the color spectrum in your mind then close your eyes and read off the colors.

Black, brown, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet, gray, white, gold, silver.

My college professor told us to remember it like this BBROYGBVGWGS but this never worked for me.

The best way to memorize this is write it on a note card and put it in your shirt pocket. Pull the card out about once and hour all day for a week and read the colors, by the end of the week you will have it memorized. About once a week for a couple of months pull the card out and read it. After that you won't need the card anymore.

Last edited:
Rainbow = Roy G. Biv Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Indigo Violet. :) I used to have beers with Roy back in the old days. You guys must have different rainbows down in TN.

So in a rainbow the most outer band starts with Red and the bands of color work in. So if I go down under to Austrailia is it backwards? :)

As to the phrase thing for resistor color codes? Just memorize the colors.

Ron

Pick your poison. There are literally dozens of phrases used with some more offensive than others. A Google will bring most up. I learned it as:

Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly and spent most o0f my formative years looking for the infamous Violet. Then too I was never the one easily offended.

Ron

When I learned it, it ended with "Get Some Now", gold, silver, none, 5%, 10%, 20% tolerances.
Kinarfi

The least offensive one I've heard (actually designed for kids, I'm sure) is Billy Bob Runs Out Yonder Giving Babies Very Greasy Wigs (and of course, Get Some Now, as mentioned above).

Big Ben Rings Out: "Young Girls Buy Volkswagens, George Washington!"

I used to get black and brown mixed up Until i replaced the first word with black.

OP: To sort your kit, use an ohmmeter. Much faster.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back