Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

REQUEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

FOOTBALLER

PLEASE I WANT THE ASSEMPLY PROGRAM FOR MY PROJECT
ANALOG TO DIGITAL CONVERTER BY SUCCESSIVE APPROXIMATION
USING PIC 16F84A

What's that?

Pore?

:?:

:lol:

That is true
I do not like them but have them just in case all the good PIC I own get all used then I start using the BAD stuff.

What ever you do, don't go with the PIC16F84A

Not worh it pick another one.

I would guess that this is an assignment. Even using a 16F628 to do A2D by successive approximation would be challenging. At least with the 628 you could use the onboard comparator.

Anyway, using a F84, I would put a ladder type D2A on port B and feed the output to a comparator. The other input of the comparator would be the voltage to be sampled and the output I'd feed to one of the port A pins.

They did a very similar thing in a recent edition of silcon chip in a ECG circuit.

HTH

Mike.

FOOTBALLER said:
PLEASE I WANT THE ASSEMPLY PROGRAM FOR MY PROJECT
ANALOG TO DIGITAL CONVERTER BY SUCCESSIVE APPROXIMATION
USING PIC 16F84A

I think this tutorial has an ADC example and uses the 16F84:

**broken link removed**

-Mike

is it nesesery to use that old PIC becose there things arent even manufactured anymore and expensive.

Someone Electro said:
is it nesesery to use that old PIC becose there things arent even manufactured anymore and expensive.
No, that's not true! 16F84A's are still being manufactured. Just think of how many Companies are still using it in their products. Changing a design would cost more than they have to pay for it, even it's more expensive. The reason why is 16F84A so expensive is because Microchip is "pushing" new chips into new designs.

Jay.slovak said:
Someone Electro said:
No, that's not true! 16F84A's are still being manufactured. Just think of how many Companies are still using it in their products. Changing a design would cost more than they have to pay for it, even it's more expensive. The reason why is 16F84A so expensive is because Microchip is "pushing" new chips into new designs.

I don't think any companies would still be using them in their products, they have been listed as 'not recommended for new designs' for years, the 628 was it's replacement - and requires only two extra code lines to make it a perfect replacement.

Anyone still using the 84 in production would soon be sacked!, manufacturers look for price savings of fractions of a penny (or cent), a production controller paying massively too much for an inferior device wouldn't be employed for long!.

Most likely MicroChip still have stocks from their last production run?, with the price increased to prevent them being used.

Well, Microchips state of 16F84 & 16F84A is "In Production"! Seems like there is still demand for them...
One thing that I can't understand, why did Microchip set comparators ON (default) in 16F628... Without it, 16F84 wouldn't be wanted anymore. I know that minimising power consumption is their main target, but I don't think that disabling Digital inputs, and Enabling Analog inputs would save that much current (comparing how much trouble it brought us!). 8)

Jay.slovak said:
One thing that I can't understand, why did Microchip set comparators ON (default) in 16F628... quote]

Who knows?, it's always seemed totally stupid to me, same as enabling A2D by default in most PIC's.

Strangely enough, the 877A has comparators (like the 628), whereas the 877 doesn't - these are DISABLED by default!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Jay.slovak said:
One thing that I can't understand, why did Microchip set comparators ON (default) in 16F628...

Who knows?, it's always seemed totally stupid to me, same as enabling A2D by default in most PIC's.

Strangely enough, the 877A has comparators (like the 628), whereas the 877 doesn't - these are DISABLED by default!.
Hmm that's realy strange, if they knew all '84 programms would be incompatible why, WHY did they enable them ??? Power consumption? No, stupidity!
And seems like they tried not to do the same misstake again with '877A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back