Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Replacing CH340G with PL2303 module?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pommie

Most Helpful Member
If I desolder the CH340 from an UNO board (or snip pins 2 & 3) and connect an external PL2303 USB - RS232 converter, will it be recognized and will it work?

I want to run the RS232 signals through a swivel connection - probably a jack socket and thought this may be the best way.

Edit, just realized the DTR pin is used to reset the atmega. Guess the answer is no.

Mike.
UNO Schematic, UNO schematic.jpg

Last edited:
hi Mike,
Would be possible just to disconnect the TXD output on the CH420 and connect the RXD lines in parallel.?

Eric.
Merry Xmas & Happy New Year.

Attachments

• CH340DS1.PDF
    144.4 KB · Views: 199
  • ch340g.pdf
    201.8 KB · Views: 212
You can press the reset and use just the rx and tx it's little tricky at first but it does work.

1/8" phone plugs are available with 4 conductors, for stereo output + mic input. Does that help?

Hi Jon,

My original idea was to pass the USB connection through a 4 gang jack plug but thought the faster USB speed might be a problem. As a possible solution I was going to try passing the RS232 signals through the same. Unfortunately, as can be seen on the schematic in post 1, the Arduino uses DTR to reset the chip for programming.

Burt,
This is for a school so something that might work isn't acceptable.

Mike.

It works that's what the reset was for at one time but you can get a bootloader that only uses tx and rx not tried it tho

The 328p bootloaders NEED a reset. that reset does not need to come from the serial port; a manual reset will work fine, if it's timed correctly. The older bootloaders (atmegaboot) have an approx 10 second window, so they're pretty easy to get working with a manual reset. Optiboot (as on Uno) has a 1s timeout, so it's trickier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back