Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

replacing a harman kardon transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

liamb

morning

i have a set of hk soundsticks. the transformer is blown as was confirmed by an electronics repair shop. problem is they cant get the part fix it....after weeks of waiting

i live in the countryside in south africa so is very difficult to get to a retailer. Those i have tried are not interested and the importers of HK are also pretty useless and unhelpful via phone and email.

the electronics shop recommended going to a pc shop, finding a equivalent transformer and splicing the power plug off the SS's onto the new transformer. This is also very tricky considering the nearest life consist of sheep and ostriches. :) but it may yet come to this if my plan below is thwarted

Problem is i know absolutely nothing about transformers. I do have a few spares lying around from various appliances so am prepared to try a few mad scientist ideas

The HK SS specs are INPUT: 100-240v, 50/60hz 1.2a OUTPUT 16V - 1.5A

I have an old transformer that has the specs INPUT : 100-240Vac, 47-63hz .65A max OUTPUT 12vds - 2a

which of these numbers above needs to be identical? I know the 100-240 is right, but have no idea the leeway available on all the rest?

would appreciate any input on what i need to look for in a replacement transformer and which specs are critical to me not exploding my speakers

liamb

I see you are from SA. From what province are you, city / town ?. Maybe I will be able to assist you with the contact info of a supplier that will be able to help you with a replacement transformer. The specs as given by you for the transformer suggests that it is a straight forward type with no centre taps or anything else. Main thing is the input must be 220-240 Vac and the output must be 16V at 1.5 amp. Shouldn't be too hard to locate a replacement for you.:D

Is the faulty transformer rectangular or is it round ( torroidal)

Mad doggy

transfomer replacement

hi mad doggy

am in plettenberg bay, but often in jhb and cape town. That would be brilliant. Google has its downfalls :D

the only funny thing with the transformer is its weird connection to the speakers...not the usual pin power connector.

Its a rectangular unit..quit long and skinny

Its just weird that the electronics shop could not assist. Maybe there is no money in it for them :)

transfomer replacement

Hi

Will it be possible for you to post a pic of the unit so that I can get a clearer idea of what is going on. You say that you do visit Cape town now and then, I know there is a place that makes custom transformers to a client's requirements, they are not the cheapest, but should be able to help. But we can 1st try with one of the electronic shops in the vacinity. Have you tried Yebo Electronics in Belleville. Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce. they also do postal services if needed. Let me know if they will be able to help.

Mad Doggy

Transformer

Will it be possible for you to post a pic. of the current faulty transformer. I am a bit confused by your info that it does not have ordinary power connector. Also did you check out the continuety of the windings with a multimeter?. - This is just to make sure that it is the transformer that is at fault.
Mad doggy

A transformer cannot be 100V to 240V. A switching power supply can be 100V to 240V.

problem solved

**broken link removed**

and the good news is i have someone to replace it...for R 285.00 which seems reasonable.

if anyone is interested **broken link removed**

they responded quickly and efficiently and will post me the new one...so may as well give them a punt :)

thanks so much everyone for your responses and help with this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back