Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reparing Mac book pwer lead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboWanabe

My brother recently broke his power lead to his Mac laptop at the section showed in the accompanying image.

I was wondering if there is anyway to DIY repair it instead of buying a new one. As you can see from the image i have poorly solderd it together thinking it would work. is that possible?. Here is spec for the power lead i found of amazon let me know if you need more information :

Replacement 16.5V 3.65A 60w Magsafe Adapter/Charger Power Supply for Apple MacBook 13.3-inch 2.0GHz MB061LL/B with PC247's 12 month warranty and UK mains plug included.

Thank you :)

If you have plugged in that adapter with the above solder job you might as well throw it away.

if the damage was further down the DC cord there might have been a hope for a repair.
But since the break is so close to the power adapter you might as well get a new adapter.
The case on those are glued and very hard to take apart with out destroying the adapter.
Good luck and what the world are you still using floppies for?

Thank you KG4MXV

I think hes going to buy a new one but can you please explain why its wouldunt work? all its doing it passing current isint it so as long as the connection is made it should flow lol. i would appreciate it if you could educate me :)

Thank you.

How many conductors did you find in the cable? It looks like you have just stripped back some of the outer insulation, twisted everything together and dropped some solder on it. There should be at least two separate conductors within that cable (probably more).

Hello. Yea at the centre off the cable there was a smaller conductive wire insullated inside another conductive wire? Do they both carry diffrent power to diffrent loads? My reasonig was that the current was split into two seperate paths to reduce heat effects, is this wrong? Thank you

The small center wire is probably + & the outer shield is --. Join them together & its a short circuit & it will cook the powersupply.

I cant belive im so stupid sometimes can you belive i got a 1st cuz i cant lol thanl you so much for teaching me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back