Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Repairing tile no sound output

I hooked it up to my bench psu so am certain it's getting enough power. I used the tile app to trigger the sound output from the tile. But I couldn't hear anything.

I took the piezo out and applied 3v to it but it did nothing. Does this mean the piezo is dead?

Oh it has to be ac. Oops. I used the tones example sketch to drive the piezo. I don't get any sound out of the piezo. I tried with the wires either way round. But I did think it probably doesn't matter. If this isn't the way to drive it, please provide me with a circuit to invert the dc source into ac. I mainly play around with digital stuff so i dont need an ac supply.

The piezo doesn't look damaged to me but I probably dont know what to look for.
I assume there's a micro in the tile that drives the piezo. As far as I can tell that is fine because I got a 1Mhz signal at the crystal. There was two crystals and both were oscillating at 1Mhz.

It's just a shame to throw this away because I have tested with the tile app and it can connect to it. That tells me the circuitry is fine and i should stop using cheapo batteries.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1htp3PTt3CRaebio6

AAcHTtdhet5wX3UJ8g_Zzu4umR2up8CKNo5BewVT0jHLDC41=s40-p-mo

If you listen carefully, you should hear a faint "click" each time you connect the 3V power, in either direction.

As Nigel says, they are pretty bombproof. As long as the crystal element is not cracked or detached from the brass disc, it should be fine.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back