Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Repairing Headphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

sigh111

Hi :)

I'm looking to get into electronics (just repairs for now)

my headset has been cutting out in one ear, it is a "Steelseries 5hv2"

Basically i wiggle the wire near where it connects to the actual headphone and if its a certain position it will work, but if its in normal use it won't...

now this headset has a microphone so i guess that would be another wire.

I'm quite new to electronics (I've soldered etc basic high school electronics) so if anyone could give me an essential list of tools + optional/very helpful ones that would be great.

Here is a small + poorly made diagram to help out with the explaining

**broken link removed**

So to sum it up-
- it works in the ear where the wire connects but not in the other one.
- need help getting all the right tools etc (whats the most economical way to get in a kit/pack?).
- maybe a basic run through/diagram of what to do?.

That would be great and hello everyone, new to these forums!.

Tools I'd use:
*A pocket radio or mp3 player to test the wire
*Scissors to cut the wire
* A soldering iron
* soldering metal (i forgot what its called)
*patience!! hehe

mm what I do is wiggle the wire until I find an area that gives problems; say a 2 inch part of the wire... Then I cut this part of the wire and resolder it without the problematic part, meaning the wire is shorter but works fine.... Hope this helps.

Juan, would that be safe to use on a laptop power cord only I have a similair problem and I have isolated and exposed the problem area, but I am hesitant to do anything as it could turn out to be very dangerous especially if it gets hot.

As to the headphones, are they under warranty because I would be cautious about messing with them unless theyre out of warranty or it would cost you more than it's worth to reapir them?

Mercur how good are you at soldering? Fixing a power cable on a laptop with a soldering iron should be trivial, especially if you know where the break is. Sure it carrys power but as long as you make a decent soldering joint it'll be fine, just make sure you wrap it up well, I'd recommend heat shrink tubeing. You cut the cable open relativly wide and before you do the soldering you slip all the heat shrink tubing on, the thin pieces over each individual small conductor and a larger piece over the top, cut and strip the wires to a length that will let the heat shrink tubing cover it up when you're done soldering. The only problem being since you've cut the outer insulation jacket that section of wire won't be straine relived very well so no yanking on the fixed cable. I'm not sure of any decent methods for strain relieving a patched cable like that. If you make a nice solder joint and do the heat shrink tubeing nice you'll barely be able to tell you opened it up.

I'm not the best at soldering, somewhat shaky hands but I'll see what I can do.
Thanks for the info, and the shrink wrap idea, I hadn't thouhgt of that, leccy tape was going to be it for me.

If you're not so good at soldering just practice till you feel comfortable doing it.
Spend a couple bucks on a roll of cheap solder and take some junk wire to work on. Pick something close to what you're working on and practice soldering a once or twice a day (not too much that'd just get boring)
I sometimes take paper clips and bend them into little stick man shapes and solder the joints together, my stepson finds them amusing. Make little swords too. Thick thin the variation helps, after a while you'll get a better feel for how long you need to hold your iron in a particular spot for to get the heat you need. Also a temperature controlled iron is really a must. That and tinner/cleaner, which is basically just an acidic flux mixed with powdered solder to clean the oxides that build up on the iron tip. I clean mine frequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back