Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

repairing flash drive. is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

younes_ysf

hello to all. i have a 2gb flash drive (Silicon Power) i think its has burned. i have another one that are the same as the first. can i remove the flash ic from the first one and put it to second one and have a 4gb flash drive? ther is a place for it in the back of the board of the flash drive. is it possible?

There won't be any benefit paralleling two flash EPROM chips. Using the same addressing you get double data in the stick.

Post some pictures. :) it MIGHT be possible or you might wreck the good drive...

If the good drive has a space to solder another IC if might be an option, ie the same PCB is used when they make 2Gb and 4Gb drives. There is sometimes a jumper you connect to activate the second chip.

Doubtful.
Mr RB was correct in suggesting about the PCB's used...since the only real difference between 2 and 4GB would be the extra address line its quite possible (if they are from the same manufacturer) that the PCB's are the same, just with different parts.

Careful desoldering the SMT flash chip on the replacement part (the one where the new flash chip is going into) you do'nt want to break the pads. Generally either the part or PCB has to be sacrificied, that is to say, if the part is dead you can cut it out leaving the PCB 'ok', if the PCB is dead and you need the part, you can wreck the pads just getting it off in one piece.

In fairness, these things are so cheap now days, might just be an idea to buy a new one :) I mean, 4GBflash drives are about $5 these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back