Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Repairing an old tympanometer (medical device to test ear drum function)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filon

Hello
I am new to the forum and it's been a couple of years that I am learning about electronics.
I have a >20 years old tympanometer which is a medical device for testing ear drum function. It has basically a probe that the doctor puts in the patient's ear and there is a pump that measure the flexibility of the ear drum and produces a chart similar to a normal distribution chart from statistics.
It's been a while now that the behavior is erratic. I turn it on and it works fine. The next day I turn it on and although it seems to work fine, when I try to work with it, it is idle. It does not detect that the probe is in the ear and does not start pumping.
If I fiddle with the probe's socket it seems to work for a while but it is a matter of time to start the problems again.
It has been sent for repair a couple of times but I honestly believe that the repair-man did not try too much since it is the same man who will sell me a new one (about 2-4000 euros).
Anyway I bypassed the socket and soldered the connections in a last effort to check if the loose connection is the problem. Same behaviour. One day it works the next it doesn't.
I inspected the pcb in order to chech for faulty capacitors but they all look fine, no leaks or bumps.
The only component that looks suspicious is a transistor which has a black stain around the area of the heat sink that it is attached to.
I am attaching a link with photos.
Does this transistor look faulty to you?
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p9s9fclviw1sth5/AABHticwNfO_PYtzz9HAHAz9a?dl=0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back