Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Repairing an audio amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
No need for screened cables for speakers, or to spend stupid money on expensive ones - all you need is decent thickness wires, preferably stranded, as solid is hard to bend.

Yeah I can see why now. I'm just using a cheap cable at the moment. I'm pretty sure it's not screened, and there's a bit of noise there. I guess it's because the amplifier amplifies the noise, but after it's gone through the amplifier, noise can no longer be amplified (only added - if any at all) so speaker cable doesn't need to be screened. Got it... thanks guys,

Mike

roboticmisinfo said:
Yeah I can see why now. I'm just using a cheap cable at the moment. I'm pretty sure it's not screened, and there's a bit of noise there. I guess it's because the amplifier amplifies the noise, but after it's gone through the amplifier, noise can no longer be amplified (only added - if any at all) so speaker cable doesn't need to be screened. Got it... thanks guys,

Pretty well, it's because the speaker signal is at a far higher level, and also a VERY low impedance.

I have the same model amp.
The speaker delay relay can cause some distortion. A while ago, mine occasionally sounded distorted for a few minutes after switching on. I cured it by carefully cleaning and re-tensioning the relay contacts.

By the way, I just use very thick twin mains type flex cable for the speakers, no need to waste money on overpriced special cables.

Yes I get that problem too during the first few minutes. I put a song on which sounded distorted, then another which I new shouldn't have any distortion and that sounded a little distorted too. It seemed to stop after a couple of minutes though... I've got a big tube of about 60 relays at home... I wonder if any of those will fit. Mind you should I risk breaking it now that I have it working? :S lol

roboticmisinfo said:
I've got a big tube of about 60 relays at home... I wonder if any of those will fit. Mind you should I risk breaking it now that I have it working? :S lol

No, I don't think you should replace the relay, just very carefully remove the plastic cover and gently clean the contacts - you could also spray them with a little contact cleaner fluid if you have some.
I had to also adjust the contacts slightly on mine because they were only just making contact, yours may not need that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back