Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Repairing a SMPS and I lost a component

Status
Not open for further replies.

datatrader

I was trying to repair a switch mode power supply for a Philips WACS700, and I suspected one of the zenar diodes was faulty. I desoldered it checked it with my MM and got distracted and the part went flying away. I lost it. Needless to say, I didn't get the details before it was lost. I found the schematics but there are no circuit diagrams for the supply. I am at a loss at what to do to replace the component. Can someone help me?

regards
datatrader

Thanks for your reply. It's Z12. someone on another forum gave me the specs for the diode. 0.5W, 19V.

The next problem will be getting the specs for the inductor L2, unless I get an LC meter.

Thanks for your reply. It's Z12. someone on another forum gave me the specs for the diode. 0.5W, 19V.

The next problem will be getting the specs for the inductor L2, unless I get an LC meter.

Why would you need L2?, and how would an LC meter help?.

If you've lost that as well then you can't measure it, and if it's faulty then you can't measure it either.

L2, is I suspect is the faulty inductor that is making the low frequency sound when the unit is on. The LC meter will allow me to find the most accurate replacement. There are no obvious schematics for this supply.

I just read your last comment about the LC meter. Do you have a better suggestion?

Is the supply fully working? - a noisey inductor shouldn't prevent it working. I would imagine a SMPSU would require any inductor replacing with the exact same type, as it's usually a VERY critical component (as the entire supply is designed around it).

yes it's working, but the low frequency noise coming from the supply makes it unbearable. This happens straight after you turn the supply on.

And yes I do realize that it needs to be replaced with the same part, but how do I measure it's faulty and/or if there are no identifying marks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back