Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

repairing a quad 303

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderchild

I've got an old quad 303 power amp that needs new smoother and output condensers, I've contacted quad and they say they can supply them, but are these going to be like the originals or just modern condensers of the same value that I could buy elsewhere at the same price ?

has anyone else worked on quads and dealt with quad for replacements before ?

I've got an old quad 303 power amp that needs new smoother and output condensers, I've contacted quad and they say they can supply them, but are these going to be like the originals or just modern condensers of the same value that I could buy elsewhere at the same price ?

has anyone else worked on quads and dealt with quad for replacements before ?

Quad have long since gone, the name is now used by some less reputable company - and the service isn't what it was. Last I heard they were totally unhelpful.

Just buy replacement capacitors from anywhere of the same value, there's nothing special about them.

There was an official modification (decades back) to replace the smoothers with new ones fitted upside down, and wired down the outside. This was because the originals leak and corrode the PCB's.

If you google, there's LOT'S and LOT'S out there about them, including performance mods and even replacement PCB's to make your own ampliifers.

Bear in mind, while 303's were good amplifiers, it was a LONG time ago, and they have been surpassed many times since.

I wanted to keep it all as original as possible so as to resell it as a working quad 303, can original psu board be bought ? or are they just mods ?

it has signs of burning under one resistor, my dad is thinking it might be easier to just replace it, I'd just get some replacement caps and take it from there

thanks that is useful info

I've repaired various items of Quad gear over the years, it's nice stuff.

I've think I've mentioned this before, but back in the 70's I used to help run a music club - a band played there one night, and they had something like 13 Quad 303's they used as PA - and they had been given them :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back