Repair and modifications of Audiophile AB amp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like I might have got played then because I missed a sale recently of a 5000W amp at Bestbuy for $299.....

As AG said, a toy amp with completely imaginary specifications - in the UK you can only get a maximum of 3000W out of a mains socket, so a maximum amplifier power of about 2500W (for an efficient design). In the USA possible power is considerably less, due to your 110V mains system. I would imagine a 5000What? amplifier from Bestbuy has a VERY low specification, and nothing like it's claimed power.

But why do you have this power obsession?, do you live in a theatre?.

A 10-20W amplifier is probably all that's really needed in a domestic setting, and my old Leak Stereo 70 (proper 35W per channel - and a bit more) could easily exceed the threshold of pain in a domestic setting - and also sounded superb. The amplifier I replaced it with is a Kenwood KA660, which gives over 60W per channel with very high specifications, and also sounds great. I'd happily have kept the Leak (and wish I still had it - I can't even remember who I sold it to?), but it didn't work well with modern equipment, like the three head cassette player I bought.

Today, BestBuy has a Rockford Fosgate 2500W mono amplifier on sale. It produces 2500W continuously into 1 ohm at 1% distortion.
It has a crossover lowpass filter to drive a bunch of paralleled sub-woofer speakers and the filter probably reduces the clipping distortion. It draws 350A at 13.8V for use in a car.
They make a 19" one-Ohms sub-woofer rated for 3000W RMS. It weighs 48kg and sells for $5600CAN.

This sound system in a car would probably destroy your hearing, vibrate your bones out-of-joint and break the car windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…