Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Repair and modifications of Audiophile AB amp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like I might have got played then because I missed a sale recently of a 5000W amp at Bestbuy for $299.....

As AG said, a toy amp with completely imaginary specifications - in the UK you can only get a maximum of 3000W out of a mains socket, so a maximum amplifier power of about 2500W (for an efficient design). In the USA possible power is considerably less, due to your 110V mains system. I would imagine a 5000What? amplifier from Bestbuy has a VERY low specification, and nothing like it's claimed power.

But why do you have this power obsession?, do you live in a theatre?.

A 10-20W amplifier is probably all that's really needed in a domestic setting, and my old Leak Stereo 70 (proper 35W per channel - and a bit more) could easily exceed the threshold of pain in a domestic setting - and also sounded superb. The amplifier I replaced it with is a Kenwood KA660, which gives over 60W per channel with very high specifications, and also sounds great. I'd happily have kept the Leak (and wish I still had it - I can't even remember who I sold it to?), but it didn't work well with modern equipment, like the three head cassette player I bought.

Today, BestBuy has a Rockford Fosgate 2500W mono amplifier on sale. It produces 2500W continuously into 1 ohm at 1% distortion.
It has a crossover lowpass filter to drive a bunch of paralleled sub-woofer speakers and the filter probably reduces the clipping distortion. It draws 350A at 13.8V for use in a car.
They make a 19" one-Ohms sub-woofer rated for 3000W RMS. It weighs 48kg and sells for $5600CAN.

This sound system in a car would probably destroy your hearing, vibrate your bones out-of-joint and break the car windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back