Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

removing high frequency noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy257

Hi All,

The speed control input on my DC motor controller is an analogue signal ranging from -10V to +10V. When i look at the waveform on a scope it is awfully noisy and contains some high frequency spikes.

Can anyone recommend a way to remove the noise/spikes? Its difficult to say what frequency the nosie is, my scope does not have any advanced features.

thanks

At first blush, from your description, I'd say look into "by-pass" capacitors. If properly sized (capacitance values), these will shunt all manner of AC noise to ground.

Last edited:
Don't interfere with a working system!

If the motor performs as expected don't change anything - just be happy!

Boncuk

The ground lead of your scope probe could be picking up what your seeing. Use of a very short ground lead on your probe is prudent in viewing switcher waveforms.

Depends how big your motor is, if its a small one, less than a couple of amps a 0.1u cap accross the terminals, and one from each terminal to the case of the motor will quieten things down.
The noise could be comming from the controller itself if its a switcher, if its an industrial controller then there probably isnt a lot to worry about as it probably has filters on the speed inputs anyway.
You could try robbing a low esr 1000u cap from a scrap pc power supply and put it across the dc input if its powered from a dc supply,

i am using a PID controller to set the speed of my motor. i think this noise is coming from the on board DAC of the PID controller.

If i have high frequency noise on a pwm signal can i still filter the HF out without affecting the shape of the waveform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back