Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Remote ignition for pyrotechnics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dtolds

I was wondering if anyone can help me figure out how to trigger my 4th of July Grand Finale using RF. I'm kind of tired of the annual BOTTLE ROCKET DODGING COMPETITION. I need to control a relay that will allow me to apply 12v to my ignitors. I need help. I told my Dad that I was thinking about doing this. He has his doubts. I love his face when I prove him wrong. PLEASE HELP! Thanks a lot. -Dan

I'd think of using a Infra-Red transmitter/reciever, I'm my self am kinda leary when it comes to using RF, and explosives, for the simple fact that you don't know if something is being transmitted on the band you're using for the reciever, so you may turn on the reciever and end up minus two hands.

Dunno if it's just me and my paranoia, or if it's everyone. I myself would like to know how claymores run, wether it's a wide arc, long range IR, or a RF on a band nobody uses.

And as for the ignitor, I'd consider using 2 Estes model rocket ignitors per bottle rocket, connect them using a gunpowder or rocket fuel and super glue or epoxy mixture, making sure the superglue doesn't block the rocket fuel/gunpowder.

Those things run on 3v dc, so it won't take much to make them blow.

As for how to set them up, I'd suggest 2 bottle rockets per ignition sequence, so if you set up a board with 10 toggle switches, each of them activating a different IR signal (different IR transmitter frequencies) you can launch 20 bottle rockets with it.

:) Hope that'll help.

If you do go with my suggestions and go for IR, make sure the IR transmitter goes to at least 20 feet, and has an arc of at least 45 degrees.

That way it'll be able to transmit as long as they are pointed in the general direction.

However if you insist on using RF, the only thing I could think of would be somehow hooking up a piece of wiring to a coil, so a you slide the wire, the different bottle rockets will go off, but I'd definately go for the IR, because the Ingnitors need about 3 seconds before they go off, Unless you feel it'll work on 12V without causing too much damage, or just breaking the ignitor.

Thanks

Thanks for the help. I was looking online and I have found a kit for a 2ch system utilizing 2 relays and a keyfob. The relays are latching, but with a jumper wire they can be made momentary. This way I can have a latching relay for arming and a momentary for ignition. That might make it safer. I plan on using home made ignitors, probably two of them. They have worked for me before. I use film canisters with a 22g wire through the base. I mack a paste out of gun powder and acetone, pour that in the canister wait atleast a day for it to dry and there it is. Put some decent amperage to it and flames fly. I've experimented with estes ignitors and they work very well. The drawback is they are pretty expensive, especially when you plan on lighting 3000 bottle rockets off at the same time. Last year I set off around 1500 the old fashioned way. Lighter fluid and a match. It went pretty well, only a few strays. Every year I have to out do myself, so I figured double the amount and ignite it form the front yard. Which is my reason for not wanting to use IR. Thanks again for the reply -Dan

Okay, I didn't know you wanted to light that many.

Guess RF would be better for that, but I'd just test it with 1 live ignitor, that way you won't blow your hands off, or end up the first human sparkler... heh... anyway, good luck, and stay safe while doing this.

Also if you wanted to, you could make a flame tube, these are fun, I myself have some background in pyrotechnics, basically a flame tube is about 100 feet of 1/2 piping filled with gunpowder or some other low grade explosive, I myself used a stick of insense as the ignitor, it gives a good 6 minutes to crack open the beer, and get a good distance away before the show starts, it also has the doppler effect if you're sitting in front of it, it's used in movies to make the sounds of a dragon breathing fire.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back