Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Remote green house monitor (PIC and HC-12)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for that Eric. think I did spot them once, but have not thought much about soil moisture , might sound illogical, wanting to control watering and not having any feedback system. my current auto watering system is based on observation , temperature and growth, working on my theory ' little and often' is better than damp / moist all the time, only proviso is that they must be well watered before dark. so last water is double strength ! usually about 6pm. The toms grow in a 8 ft long 18"wide 1ft deep bed with very good drainage.(1" of gravel ) perhaps adding a soil sensor could be useful just as a reference. The two 'ends' are on the desk chatting away each hour at the moment , I'm working on an auto power level system for the HC-12 as remote will be battery + solar powered, level is adjusted / decided by the remote last byte is the power # , it adjust power till it gets an ACK back , the base adjust its TX of ACK from that RX data, two MPLABx on two PC, two PK3. different PIC's, different programs , been great fun !

Those mositure sensors Eric mentions do look interesting at the price, but have seen lots of folk in Arduinos forum trying out various such sensors and seems its a very difficult reading to get right, particularly over time where the probes can corrode etc.

In view of your high degree of automation wondered if you had thought about going to hydroponics for your toms ? either the full flow method or the simpler ebb and flow ?

In your warmer area, are you growing any winter salads in the greenhouse ? they say you can grow a lot, though never had much joy in our colder Pennine area.

Hi WP100 , discussion about moisture sensors crop up regularly here on ETO , I have not studied hydroponics at all, the automation was just to cope with holidays etc, Tip... don't rely on anybody else to do the watering ! a large poly tank will keep them going about a week , GH also has an automatic vent. Not done any winter salad lately , GH gets stacked full of wife's, tender plants come October. the allotment GH , just rests, did try some all year round lettuce but they just bolted... and a mouse ate all the November sown sweet peas ! may try again. thanks.

Have used a couple of cheap 40ltr builders tubs to hold the water in this year.
Seems to be a good thing in it allows some of the harmful chlorine to dissipate ( or use a fishkeeping declorinator), warms the water which toms particularly like according the the tv experts, and it also acts as a night time storage heater.
Just pop your watering can in it to fill within seconds instead of holding under a running tap .

warms the water which toms particularly like
Good point Wp. not sure of the ltr of my tub. it sits in the GH, is fed from the guttering, I add occasional tom feed as the fruit sets. pump is a 12v bilge pump from a chandlers , outlet pipe has to have an air bleed to stop it being a siphon .

hi Nigel, Granddad,
This link may be interesting for HC12 users.

E

Hi,

Question please, been searching , but cannot find any reference to, if the HC12 can be connected to a PC with a typical Bluetooth Dongle as you can with a HC-06 ?

Granddad - wondered why , other than you prefered a dedicated receiver, you chose not to feed your greenhouse controllers data straight in to a PC or even smart phone ?

you chose not to feed your greenhouse controllers data straight in to a PC or even smart phone ?
Hi Wp Did not want PC on for 24-7 , guess there could be work rounds for that , controller sending hourly readings and possible alarms . also I can put the monitor somewhere it can be checked , kitchen / sun lounge... Strangely I don't have a smart phone ....

Hi Wp100,
The HC12 and Bluetooth modules work on different frequencies so they cannot communicate with each other. The HC12 uses around 533Mhz Bluetooth uses around 2400 Mhz. The protocols are also different.
Edit. I've just noticed that I made a typing error. The HC12 works on 433 Mhz not 533 as I typed.

Les.

Last edited:
I've just been sent some Zeta plus modules from RF solutions.... Brand new.. These are not even available to buy yet...

Looked at them.... Same chip as the HC12.... Twice the price as the HC12... Hmmm! the only difference I can see is the HC12 uses Si4463 and these use the Si4455... I think I'll get a couple of these HC12's and see if they are any different!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back