Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Remote controlling an air conditioner (w/o IR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

g2c

Hello,

I was wandering if someone had to solve this problem of controlling air conditioners from a server (e.g. running on arduino). The server being able to turn switches on and off

Thanks in advance for your time

thanks. i can design the home automation. i don't know how to turn on an air conditioner designed to be turned on via an ir remote

You can re-create the IR 'on' signal by attaching the IR led to the arduino and programing the arduino with the correct signal.

Thus your arduino (server) can turn on the air-con assuming it is in the same room.

Simple solution. Search for IRMIMIC

Harder solution. Capture codes, analyze and send directly.

OptoFETs make a nice interface to buttons or keypads.

G2C,
Do you want to turn it on/off, or do you want to set the temperature? (air conditioners)

The idea was to start heating/cooling before arriving home via a browser on the android talking to a server running on an arduino with an ethernet shield

The Arduino control machine is not by the conditioners, it's in the 'electricity box' BUT, i tried and found that when the IR remote is operated by the PIRs wiring in the room, it's in the line of sight (although the incident angle is not optimal) and able to control the conditioner with some reliability. This wiring arrives to said 'electricity box'. The wiring is made of 4 telephone twisted pairs and i guess i could use one to modulate (a) powerful IR diode(s) placed by the PIR, the modulation would indeed be under the Arduino control and could send ANY command. I am happy to have posted the question here and thank you all, ronsimpson, Misterbenn, and KeepItSimpleStupid for having helped me to envisage this solution. If the reliability can not reach a 99% level with this incident angle, i'll have to use an RF bridge stuck somewhere near the IR receiver, this would imply more maintenance to change the batteries

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back