Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

remote controlled LED/lightbulb project idea help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there folks, i'm very new to this forum and have only recently been getting into using IR technology, which i'm hoping to use for this project. Basically what I would like to accomplish:

- i'd like to have 8 to 10 separate circuit board receivers, each equipped with a bright led or lightbulb.
- i'd like to have a single IR remote transmitter that controls each receiver individually (pressing 1 on the remote will ignite bulb on circuit 1, pressing 1 again will turn bulb off, pressing 2 will ignite bulb on circuit 2, etc...)

This schematic seems like a good enough start as far as building receiver modules, what i'm not sure of is how to program each channel to a separate frequency that will accurately correlate with each module. Are there specific remotes I should be looking for? If purchasing an outside remote is out of the picture, i would definitely consider building separate transmitter circuits and housing them in some sort of case, as I'd like it to look neat and be as user friendly as possible.

If anyone needs more info from me in order to better understand what I'm trying to get across, please feel free to let me know and i'll supply with whatever I can. Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from you all soon!

what i'm not sure of is how to program each channel to a separate frequency that will accurately correlate with each module
38kHz is a 'standard' modulation frequency for IR remotes, and receivers responding to that are readily available. So the frequency would be the same for all receivers. What you then need is a distinct code sequence (bursts of 38kHz-modulated IR) per receiver.
You could perhaps use a 'universal remote' as the transmitter.

Last edited:
Do you by chance know of any tutorials or anything that I could look up to educate myself on programming the remote to interact separately with each "channel"?

I'm not aware of any tutorials, but you could try googling for 'IR control codes' etc.
As for range, all remotes I've used operate, in conjunction with commercial receivers, over at least the length of an average room. You can even bounce their signals off ceilings and walls.

You found a very old circuit from India? It uses the obsolete TSOP1738 which operated at about 38khz. They had different frequencies like TOP1730 (30kHz), TSOP1733 (33kHz), TSOP1736 (36kHz), ISOP37 (36.7kHz), TSOP40 (40kHz) and TSOP56 (56kHz).

Maybe you should use a modern circuit from America or England.

Look at their datasheet to see that their frequency peaks at the spec'd frequency but it still responds to higher and lower frequencies with less sensitivity.

There are newer IR receiver ICs that work the same.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back