Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

REMOTE CONTROLLED FIRESTARTER

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to make a remote controlled fire starter to set off fireworks. I know how to make an electronic fuse, but I need to figure out how to rig it to a remote control. Here is what I have:

Get a silicon diode, take a single match and hold the glass part of a single diode against the head. Bend the diode pins around the matchhead so that one wraps in an upward direction and then sticks out to the side. Do the same with the other wire, but in a downward direction. The diodes should now be hugging the matchhead, but its wires MUST NOT TOUCH EACH OTHER!

When you hook it across a 9 volt battery it reaches breakdown voltage, and lights the match head.

Does anyone one know how to get this as a remote controlled action, or do I need to have a different method please help me :!:

/-Matt-\

I'm fascinated. How does putting 9v on to a diode light the match? Is it because the diode blows up?

Very interesting method :)

By remote controlled, do you mean wireless? It would be quite easy to do wired, simply put long wires on the diode to the 9v battery, with a switch in the middle. Or you can make/buy a simple RF or IR circuit and receiver which closes a relay. The relay, when closed, would complete the circuit with the battery to the diode. I can't think of places to find a schematic, but I know I've seen some. Some googling should find you some.

Uhhh... just pick up the remote ignitor for estes model rockets I mean if you're gonna have wires, just pick one of those up for like $3, and a pack of engines/ignitors, just use the low grade rocket fuel as a detonator and the high explosive, and ignitors as the catalyst.

However depending on how many you're firing and if you don't want to be in any immediate danger, look for either IR, or RF as your transmitter, if you're only using 10-20 fireworks, go for IR, you can get a good distance away, however if you're looking at more than 20, or if you plan on using high explosives, like RDX (Low grade C1 Plastic Explosives), C4, pipe bombs, nitro, dynamite, tnt, shaped charges, satchel charges, or other explosive/prototype explosive where being within 20-30 feet of it could cause you imminent danger, go for RF, you can get up to 500 feet away without violating any laws using an AM band transmitter.

You can find RF Transmitters & recievers here

Transmitter

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2003/06/175khzx.pdf

Reciever

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2003/06/175krvr.pdf

If you want to set off multiple fireworks, then you have to set up multiple frequencies by adjusting the number of turns in the coils.

This can be a game of trial and error, since the exact size of the core, and wire may differ from the one they used to construct it.

I'm also not sure of the distance this one transmits, sorry, I haven't used this one.

And in order to get the reciever to light something.

You'd have to modify this, so both the positive and negative hook up to seperate connectors.

I don't have a schematic so I'll just have to hope ASCII doesn't fail me.

-9V To ignitors +9V To ignitors
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
----------------- -----------------
| |
-9V From Reciever +9V From Reciever

Okay, now the bottom of the diagram will represent the positive and negative wires going from the reciever, then they connect to 10 pins or copper surrounded holes where you can solder on 10 insulated wires (22ga) these would have one open end, and a small alligator clip on the other.

Now match the wires up, you don't really have to, but it's easier for figuring out what the hell's gonna happen here.

Take one positive and one negative alligator clip from each side and hook them up to the ignitors (if you're using your own, that's cool, I just prefer estes since they never fail) make sure they do not touch, and then attatch to the fireworks, if you want you can make your own gunpowder/epoxy charge on the firework so that it will definately light the fuse.

now when a signal hits, 9V will travel down these and through the ignitors setting them off until no closed connections are left.

However in order to make sure these baby's don't yank the reciever with them, have the reciever mounted to something around 10 Lbs, and when you put the ignitors in the alligator clips, make sure they are only holding the tips of each ignitor, because under normal circumstances, the ignitor will fall off, however some have been known to hang on and take your stuff for a ride several hundred feet in the air if you're not careful.

Yep ASCII failed me...

Okay, there should be a break in between the 10'th and 11'th pipe ( | this thing) and the second pipe should be on the opposite side of the diagram.

I would be slightly cautious of a wireless (RF, specifically) approach. Many of the tx/rx circuits you can purchase are widely used bands and have lots of interference. There is the safety aspect, but in addition, you wouldnt want some of the rockets firing at the wrong time b/c they picked up some stray RF. In addition, you dont want to lose control of your rockets. IR might work better -- not sure. I imagine safety and control are the two main reasons that the large commercial shows are all hard wired to their controllers.

I agree with crust. RF, can screw up due to other waves in the air. But... IR can screw up if someone tries to change the channel on a TV or something. Not only that, but sunlight can screw up IR REALLY bad. (If not ...done right. :| ) You could use lasers to trigger a relay, but that can be interupted too. So wireless may not be the right option. Is there anyway you could just have two really really long wires? They will be MUCH cheaper and way safer. :wink: You can even do cool things like use and LED Chaser replacing the LED's with relays to make the fireworks go off one after another automaticly. :D Err... maybe that's stupid. :lol: Well, whatever. My point is, wireless may not be the best way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back