Remote control Pan & Tilt Head for a Video Jib/crane (inc, controlling motors)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Video_Fx_Pro

Hi, i am building a crane (JIB) for my video work. It will have a pan/tilt head on it

that will be controlled by a wired remote control (RC). (though wireless would be cool)

I have already built the crane/jib and the head frame. I just need the head & remote now. I will work out the cog ratios/sizes depending on the speed of the motors. Though a small aluminum one on the motor & larger aluminum one on the head frame will create the right amount of torque to turn the head parts.

See here (and photos below) for a good idea of what i am building:

Site #1 (Also see the videos) =http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pan-Tilt-Remote-Head-fr-JIB-Arm-Camera-Crane- Joystick-/130384963855? cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_TripodsSupports&hash=item1e5b8ca90f

Site #2 = EZ Head

Look at the head (where the camera goes) and the remote.
(if the links fail, simply look for jib on google/ebay, etc)

For the remote control joystick I was thinking of using a remote from a model helicopter I have spare for the two joysticks, one from a PS2 joypad, or one like in the link site (if I can find one of these RC`s on the web) If possible to be touch sensitive, but not essential.

I mainly need the joysticks to turn the head (PAN) left & right and to turn the

head Up & Down (Tilt). I will also need a variable resistor to enable me to increase the

speed of the motors so I have more control of the head.

What I need as I am a bit of a novice (though i did electroniocs in CDT at school and I

learn very fast, but I havn't done anything as technical as this since.) is a diagram

and explanation on how to do the following:

POINT #:

#1. When I turn the joystick left it will power the motor to turn the head left. The same is required to turn the motors right, up & down as I move the joystick. I would like it if the more you move the joystick the quicker the motor/head moves, and if i only move the joystick a little the head moves a little.

#2. I will need a VR to increase/decrease the speed of the motors (see the website)
This way I get maximum control for minor movements, or if I need it to move very fast.

#3. I would prefer a joystick that is touch sensitive, but if this will be a headache in the electronics then it doesn't matter.

#4. Can i wire a motor to move in both directions? ie, if i turn the joystick left the motor will turn left when i turn the joystick right the motor turn right, etc.

Can i simply wire it up directly - wires from the joystick(s) to the motors (maybe with relays) or will a control circuit board be needed

#5. I will use a 12v battery (or 24v) depending on the motor voltages. The motor will have a small cog on it and the turning arm will have a bigger cog (see sites, or photos).

#6. Will i have to have a switch to change the current direction, or can it be wired to automatically change when i turn the joystick. (see #1)

=======================
I have a remote to control the cameras functions already, I only need to control the Head unit.

Any help on wiring diagrams, if i need a IC curcuit (+diagram), and anything else would be really appreciated.
So far the jib has cost me £110 in parts from various places. For me the build so far was the easy part.

I am on a tight budget at the moment as i am just starting a video production business. Once i complete this crane with a remote powered head unit i will get alot more business so i need it quite quickly. I also need it to look professional too, no stupid looking parts.

Thanks for your time, and again I will be very greatful for any help.

Connor.

[ Sorry to go on a bit, but I thought iI would give all the info I can to get the right help]

PHOTOS (from various sites)=
============================================================================================================
BTW. I forgot to say that I designed it all on AutoCAD 2008. So files for this are welcome.

Attachments

• jr.head-4.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,391
  • Pan Tilt head - 81.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 2,351
  • joystick-box.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,088
  • jr.head-13.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,644
  • ez head web 3.1.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 1,192
  • head-includes.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,651
Last edited:
greeting
very interesting as well I want to make a robotic control for a crane to pan & tilt, I know who has a diagram for my project
been looking till I found this page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…