Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Remote control Pan & Tilt Head for a Video Jib/crane (inc, controlling motors)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Video_Fx_Pro

Hi, i am building a crane (JIB) for my video work. It will have a pan/tilt head on it

that will be controlled by a wired remote control (RC). (though wireless would be cool)

I have already built the crane/jib and the head frame. I just need the head & remote now. I will work out the cog ratios/sizes depending on the speed of the motors. Though a small aluminum one on the motor & larger aluminum one on the head frame will create the right amount of torque to turn the head parts.

See here (and photos below) for a good idea of what i am building:

Site #1 (Also see the videos) =http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pan-Tilt-Remote-Head-fr-JIB-Arm-Camera-Crane- Joystick-/130384963855? cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_TripodsSupports&hash=item1e5b8ca90f

Site #2 = EZ Head

Look at the head (where the camera goes) and the remote.
(if the links fail, simply look for jib on google/ebay, etc)

For the remote control joystick I was thinking of using a remote from a model helicopter I have spare for the two joysticks, one from a PS2 joypad, or one like in the link site (if I can find one of these RC`s on the web) If possible to be touch sensitive, but not essential.

I mainly need the joysticks to turn the head (PAN) left & right and to turn the

head Up & Down (Tilt). I will also need a variable resistor to enable me to increase the

speed of the motors so I have more control of the head.

What I need as I am a bit of a novice (though i did electroniocs in CDT at school and I

learn very fast, but I havn't done anything as technical as this since.) is a diagram

and explanation on how to do the following:

POINT #:

#1. When I turn the joystick left it will power the motor to turn the head left. The same is required to turn the motors right, up & down as I move the joystick. I would like it if the more you move the joystick the quicker the motor/head moves, and if i only move the joystick a little the head moves a little.

#2. I will need a VR to increase/decrease the speed of the motors (see the website)
This way I get maximum control for minor movements, or if I need it to move very fast.

#3. I would prefer a joystick that is touch sensitive, but if this will be a headache in the electronics then it doesn't matter.

#4. Can i wire a motor to move in both directions? ie, if i turn the joystick left the motor will turn left when i turn the joystick right the motor turn right, etc.

Can i simply wire it up directly - wires from the joystick(s) to the motors (maybe with relays) or will a control circuit board be needed

#5. I will use a 12v battery (or 24v) depending on the motor voltages. The motor will have a small cog on it and the turning arm will have a bigger cog (see sites, or photos).

#6. Will i have to have a switch to change the current direction, or can it be wired to automatically change when i turn the joystick. (see #1)

=======================
I have a remote to control the cameras functions already, I only need to control the Head unit.

Any help on wiring diagrams, if i need a IC curcuit (+diagram), and anything else would be really appreciated.
So far the jib has cost me £110 in parts from various places. For me the build so far was the easy part.

I am on a tight budget at the moment as i am just starting a video production business. Once i complete this crane with a remote powered head unit i will get alot more business so i need it quite quickly. I also need it to look professional too, no stupid looking parts.

Thanks for your time, and again I will be very greatful for any help.

Connor.

[ Sorry to go on a bit, but I thought iI would give all the info I can to get the right help] :)

PHOTOS (from various sites)=
============================================================================================================
BTW. I forgot to say that I designed it all on AutoCAD 2008. So files for this are welcome.

Attachments

• jr.head-4.jpg
    jr.head-4.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,388
  • Pan Tilt head - 81.jpg
    Pan Tilt head - 81.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 2,351
  • joystick-box.jpg
    joystick-box.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,083
  • jr.head-13.jpg
    jr.head-13.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,641
  • ez head web 3.1.jpg
    ez head web 3.1.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 1,187
  • head-includes.jpg
    head-includes.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,648
Last edited:
greeting
very interesting as well I want to make a robotic control for a crane to pan & tilt, I know who has a diagram for my project
been looking till I found this page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back