Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Remote control of pushbuttons

Status
Not open for further replies.

xiptron

Hi. I need to control a device over the internet. The device has 8 pushbuttons (spst) that I want to remotely control. There is no serial control available.

I need a software application with 8 virtual pushbuttons to make my selections on. I presume some sort of add-on relay card will be needed to make direct contact closure across the device's pushbuttons.

A windows gui with pushbuttons that can be named would be desireable. This software will be accessed across the net by remote desktop.

Any ideas anyone? I know there are lots of possibilities but don't know where to start!

Ouch! Certainly not THAT much lol! There is control software about for turning garden sprinkler systems on/off via preset timers, so couldn't similar software be around to simply turn a device on once? Downstream jiggery/pokery could then easily turn relay closure into a momentary action.

I am using SitePlayer to turn on/off relays over the internet. No VB or C just simple HTML.
**broken link removed**

You can see two pages here: (I disabled it so you can't turn on my sprinklers.)
Home Control

Last edited:
I need to make it clear that I will be operating an existing computer via remote desktop. Therefore I do not need to establish an http connection which is what the above products seem to be doing. I will already be on the remote desktop via TeamViewer. So I'm just looking for an i/o board that will be attached to the remote computer and its relays will connect with an automation controller nearby. Meanwhile, I'm sitting in an internet cafe in another town, setting up my on/offs on some sort of desktop software installed on teh remote pc. I need 8 switches.

Does this make it clearer??

Yes, since you have a remote computer you could telnet into this type of device.
https://www.phanderson.com/iom141.html
It's only 4 relays but perhaps Mr Anderson has a 8 relay one.
Another handy bit of software is TCP-COM which allows you to use telnet to directly connect to a serial port.
RS232 to TCP/IP Converter Software TCP-Com, Serial to TCP/IP converter, Virtual Com Port, Serial to Ethernet, Ethernet Data, Comport Sharing, Serial Ethernet Converter, Ethernet Serial
**broken link removed**

Thanks for all the suggestions peoples. My head is spinning!!! Never mind, I've just purchased locally (much cheaper) an automatic control kit that uses the printer port to switch 8 relays on one board. Provided the software is ok, it should do the job. I'll report back soon. I'm also interested in the last suggestion and will check it out too.

I have built up the universal KV3590 relay board but find that it is permanently holding all relays closed without any input. They stay on whether the board is connected to the printer port or not. The input pins to the IC are all +1.25V and the outputs are at 3.6V. Is this correct behaviour?

It won't respond to any software control program, which I thought may pull the inputs down and turn the relays off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back