Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relay Question.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shocky

I would like to use 6vdc 50ma to activate a solid state relay. On the internet I found a relay....the specs are listed below. Is 6vdc 50ma is enough electrcity to activate the relay? How much millamps would this relay require at 6vdc?

DC/DC Solid State Relay
Screw terminal with hardware
Photo isolation
Metal mounting base
Control Voltage: 3-32VDC
Type: DC/DC
Contact style: SPST
Contact Voltage: 60 VDC
Contact Current: 2A
Pins: 4
Terminal Type: Solder lead
Size: 1.4"L x 0.3"W x 0.9"H

Since it is a solid state relay with photo-isolation, it doesn't require much current to activate. It will require same current as an IR LED would require i.e. around 10-15mA maximum.

kinjalgp said:
Since it is a solid state relay with photo-isolation, it doesn't require much current to activate. It will require same current as an IR LED would require i.e. around 10-15mA maximum.

If it would require about 10-15mA maximum.....will an input of 6v 50mA be to much power?

Thanks for your reply

Ron H said:
Posting the specs is good. Posting a link to the datasheet would be better.

Heres a link to where I found the product, but there is not a datasheet.

**broken link removed**

Shocky said:
If it would require about 10-15mA maximum.....will an input of 6v 50mA be to much power?
Thanks for your reply

No it won't have any problem. Even if your source can supply 50mA, it will consume only what it requires. The stands for a 1000A source also.

6V 50mA means your source can supply 50mA @ 6V to a load which requires it but that surely doesn't mean that it will force 50mA into whatever load is connected. The current drawn will depend upon the resistance of the load.

I found the **broken link removed**. Looks like you will only be drawing about 3ma from your 6 volt drive.

I agree with Ron.
The SSR input contain a FET current generator, so the input current from 3 to 32V only 3mA.

Sebi said:
I agree with Ron.
The SSR input contain a FET current generator, so the input current from 3 to 32V only 3mA.
Sebi, that's not what I see. In the top 3 graphs in the **broken link removed**, the slope of the line is (23v-8v)/(15ma-5ma)=1.5k (I picked two points that were easy to to read), and if you extrapolate the line to zero current, the intercept is at about 1.5 volts, which is the voltage drop of an LED at very low (<<1ma) current. Therefore we have a 1k5 (1.5 kohm) resistor in series with an LED.
I originally got the 3ma number by simply reading where the line passes through 6 volts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back