Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relay or Triac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fat-tony

I'm planning on controlling some lighting for a frog tank using a microcontroller (probably 8051-based). To switch the 120V from the wall, I'm not positive if I should use a transistor and a relay or a Triac with an optoisolator. I do have more experience using transistors than Triacs (from EE labs), but I do like the fact that the Triac is purely electrical, so I don't have to worry about mechanical failure. However, I've been told that Triacs only work with purely resistive loads, and that fluorescent lights wouldn't work with them.

Any thoughts?

If You need just ON-OF control, the triac with a zerocross-type optotriac work fine. Most of FL not dimmable.

Sebi said:
If You need just ON-OF control, the triac with a zerocross-type optotriac work fine. Most of FL not dimmable.

So FLs will work with a triac, as long as I'm not trying to dim the output?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back