Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

relay or transistor ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

svtiss

Hi,
I need to control a motor and I am thinking what to use 2 relays or h bridge
The motor( DC) would go back and forward many times . Guys, what do you think is better ?
Thanks

its 24v and current about 5 A , and I have relay control now , and no problems , for now , but I want use something cheaper than relays .

I think relays will be the cheapest - Any electronical solution will probably cost more then a relay for the same voltage/current setup...

But a well designed electronical solution should outlive the motor (and even you for that matter). While a relay WILL fail for sure, the question is not will it fail, but when will it fail.

If it is built and working with relays, great.
If it is not broken, dont fix it.

But, depending on how often the motor is switched....
"a lot" is a rather vague subjective number!

If it breaks and the relays are burning out, try Exos' suggestion.

JimB

The motor changes the direction more than 300 times per day, and I need to make lots control boards , so need to know whats better .
thanks

svtiss said:
The motor changes the direction more than 300 times per day, and I need to make lots control boards , so need to know whats better .

Relays are simple and cheap, and if you choose plug-in ones they are VERY easily replaceable. By careful design, and spending a LOT more money, you could probably make a more reliable design using transistors or FET's.

Personally I'd stick to the relays - easy maintenance, and very low cost.

svtiss said:
good relays not really cheap . for now I am using 9 $ for each and i need 4 per board

I will use cheap relay to change direction under zero current, then one big fat juicy transistor/MOSFET to power the motor circuit ON/OFF. Without any arcing/sparking your cheap relay will practically last forever.

svtiss said:
thanks

You can get 5A power fets much cheaper than the mechanical equivalent.

Just for kicks...

assume the mechanical switches 300 times / day. Also assume that switching under load, you can expect 10^6 operations before a serious degradation or complete failure (this is not unrealistic).

At that rate, you will be on borrowed time after 9.16 years. This is one relay only, so if there are two or more in the system, one of them will fail well before 9 years. Also if the environment is adverse (hot, humid, dirty or whatever) halving that life estimate is not unrealistic.

agree ,
thats why I use plug- in relays , and keep lots spares .
Any good Schematic and components you can recomend
Thanks

what are you building? how many times they need to switch and what is enviroment? what is life expectancy for your project?
relays aren't that bad. while they do wear out while solid state device don't, people are usually underestimating relays since they are mechanical devices. unlike transistors, relays are way more robust when it comes to short circuits (what can you do, cables brake too...).
we use relays to run motors on car seat testers etc. they switch on and off about 10 times per minute or about 2700 per shift. running up to three shifts for five years didn't need to change one yet (installed over 300 of them). that's about 2000000 cycles per relay. they are switching currents of 5-20Amp and occasional short circuit, all day long (and night)...

svtiss,

thats why I use plug- in relays , and keep lots spares .

There is your problem. It's in the way you see things.

1 relay= around 9$

Let's say 3 spares or more=27$ +

Allready 27$ has your FET's or transistors paid for.
You need 4 x9$ =36$ + your spares, + downtime to replace your wonderful relays.
I know that if relays need to be replaced so often, that I have to stock spares, then automatically I would look for an alternative to remedy that problem, especially since you are designing a new system, and also controlling DC power.
I mostly use relays to isolate a circuit when controlling AC power(motors ect...)
Recently I have used triacs to get away from relays.
I know , that sooner or later when power, cost and apllications demand,I'll be back to the relays.

FETs will outlast any low amp relay and create very little or no noise.

Transistors are reliable and affordable. Much less then 9$ each, and could last a life time if properly setup.Add to this a couple diodes, and resistors ect...

If you have many boards to make, I would strongly suggest full electronic control for the simple fact of "reliability".
Furthermore, power consumption is minimal when you go full electronic.
Is PWM in near future???

In anycase, it's up to you.
I don't mean to minimize anything that has been suggested to you by the other members, but in the grand scheme of things, 24V----5amps---DC---, it's a moderate amount of power.

In anycase Good Luck.

The MC33886 H-bridge chip i posted above costs $8, for 1 :roll:
If you order them in large numbers it's even cheaper...

That's a very small , complete H-bridge chip with all possible protections built in...

Just to add my two cents to the relay option, high reliability relays made just for this purpose are used in the millions in cars everyday. There are relays made just for H-Bridge operation in very small robust packages, with all the H-bridge wiring done internally.

These relays operate the electric seats, windows, mirrors, vents, etc. Bosch, Fujitsu, NEC, Panasonic, Aromat, etc, all make these models. Even in these days of complex electronics and the engineering resources of the car manufacturers, they still choose relays for reliability and cost.

yes , I checked that 33886 ,
I need GO-STOP-GO BACK and again
I want to use PLC to control it
Is 33886 good for that ?? Can I do that without PMW ???

Yes, it can do without PWM, it ALLOWS for pwm if you want...
You can control it with a PLC, just use a resistor network to Lower the PLC's output voltage from 24V to 5V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back