Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relay driving? transistor, fet or ULN2803

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are many ways to drive a small relay. When I've only got one or two relays to drive I usually use a 2N7000 fet. It has it's own clamp diode and doesn't require a resistor like a transistor would; although the transistor costs less it does take up more board space.
For lots of relays I'll use a ULN2803 octal driver, it's a popluar and easy way to drive upto eight relays and fairly high current.
Question 1, what is the minimum number of relays to justify a ULN2803 driver in your opinion?
Question 2, what parts do you use most often to drive a relay?

William At MyBlueRoom said:
Question 1, what is the minimum number of relays to justify a ULN2803 driver in your opinion?
Question 2, what parts do you use most often to drive a relay?

based on what? parts cost? board space? both are fairly straightforward to calculate. building 1, 1000, 1000000? assembly cost could be an issue as well.

Also, what kind of a relay are you driving? Coil current can make a difference.

For coils less than 100 mA, I typically use a small signal NPN (2n2222, 2n3904, ...). at a few cents per transistor, it's hard to beat, cost wise. You do, of course, have to consider duty cycle.

The ULN2803 has base resistors and diodes so you can save a fair amount of board space. It's a bit overkill for the typical relay current needs but is relatively cheap. I've used one to drive 4 relays. Mainly because I had one and it was less assembly work...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back